Pool patio drainage issue

ik91

May 10, 2023
Cary, NC
Hello,

I recently bought a house that has no drainage area at this section of the pool in the picture. The other side of pool has deck o drain but in this section of the deck there is no drain solution and it just puddles up there. Today it rained excessively and with no where water to go, all the dirt and debris went in to pool.

Does anyone have suggestions on improving drainage for this problem? The deepest area is where the deck column is.

The pool pump under the deck to left side marked with an red X and I believe a drainage pipe runs under the landscape trees marked in a blue line as I can see outlet of the pipe past the stucco wall.

IMG_2121.jpegIMG_2123.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I recently bought a house that has no drainage area at this section of the pool in the picture. The other side of pool has deck o drain but in this section of the deck there is no drain solution and it just puddles up there. Today it rained excessively and with no where water to go, all the dirt and debris went in to pool.

Does anyone have suggestions on improving drainage for this problem? The deepest area is where the deck column is.

The pool pump under the deck to left side marked with an red X and I believe a drainage pipe runs under the landscape trees marked in a blue line as I can see outlet of the pipe past the stucco wall.
Are there gutters dumping water into the patio or was that just straight rain?

That was straight rain and it was raining heavy. In a light rain it puddles up there but has never overflowed over to the pool before until today with the heavier rain
Is the dirt from an adjacent planter bed or soaking through the retaining wall area?

You can cut in another deck drain if you think it needs it. Or just a single point drain and pipe the water as well. Both would require cutting a channel in the deck. It’s actually not that hard with a Home Depot rental saw. I did mine that way.

Reactions: ik91
Hummmmmmmmmmmmm Lets pick that area apart and see what we come up with.....

So you have a sand filter. Where does the water go when you backwash it? (am guessing the pipe where the blue line is but want to make sure)

Show us a pic of your equipment area so we can really see what you are working with.

Here is picture of my pump setup and pictures closer up of the drainage problem. All the mud and debris are from the heavy rain yesterday

Also, when cutting how do I know where unground pipes run and how to avoid them

Attachments

• IMG_2124.jpeg
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    898.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 15
For starters if your mud comes from the top of the retaining wall then that's where your issue begins. Probably necessitating a gravel bed with a buried drainage pipe at the wall so water never rises above the wall height taking mud with it. Then you'd need to assess the residual under the deck which probably won't add up to much once the initial problem is solved.

Reactions: ik91 and Newdude
I believe a drainage pipe runs under the landscape trees marked in a blue line as I can see outlet of the pipe past the stucco wall.
If you can see a pipe outlet and believe this to be a drain, I would try to have this scoped and or jetted. Likely that may have plugged up with debris and opening it up would correct the issue.

--Jeff

If you can see a pipe outlet and believe this to be a drain, I would try to have this scoped and or jetted. Likely that may have plugged up with debris and opening it up would correct the issue.

--Jeff

I think I may have caused some confusion and should have called it the backwash drainage pipe that only shows water when I backwash the pool filter and water comes out properly when I backwash it.

My problem is lack of place for water to go at that part of the patio when it rain and it begins puddling because that’s the deepest part of pool deck and if it rains hard will begin to creep towards the pool.

Also to clarify the mud doesn’t come up from the side of the retaining wall as there is an adequate grading there and no drainage issues

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I may have caused some confusion and should have called it the backwash drainage pipe that only shows water when I backwash the pool filter and water comes out properly when I backwash it.

My problem is lack of place for water to go at that part of the patio when it rain and it begins puddling because that’s the deepest part of pool deck and if it rains hard will begin to creep towards the pool.

Also to clarify the mud doesn’t come up from the side of the retaining wall as there is an adequate grading there and no drainage issues
Where does the mud come from? Seem that placing a drain there might be an option.

You need a substantial height difference at the top of the wall for mud not to come over in torrential storms. Having a 12" gravel base with 3/4" stone with drain pipe aka drain tile in there will eliminate the water rising at the top of the wall.

So here is my thoughts:

-use the backwash drain hose to get rid of the extra water under there. I would cut a "channel" into the concrete that leads from the low part to the place where the backwash pipe goes and put a T in to feed the water into that pipe.

So here is my thoughts:

-use the backwash drain hose to get rid of the extra water under there. I would cut a "channel" into the concrete that leads from the low part to the place where the backwash pipe goes and put a T in to feed the water into that pipe.

If I do connect a channel with drainage pipe to the backwash pipe, could there be any problems in the the future?

If I do connect a channel with drainage pipe to the backwash pipe, could there be any problems in the the future?
Since the backwash pipe is under pressure, there may not be enough gravity drop in that line for water drainage, but maybe there is or maybe you can tweak it so it does. Or just drain somewhere closer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.