Hearing the responses from the contractors it definitely seems like they will be removing everything.

Per the staples, the other contractor sent an image and clarified that it would be 1/2" rebar. The image definitely seems to reinforce the fact that it is just a 'DIY staple'

It seems like the contractors that came out and quoted are all using some version of the rebar staple. It may come down to either that method or the contractor who uses carbon fiber staples. All the nearby Torque Lock contractors have some of the most horrid reviews I've seen. All three are under 2 stars on various sites. :(

Attachments

• ApplicationFrameHost_2023-11-08_17-37-09.jpg
    ApplicationFrameHost_2023-11-08_17-37-09.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 21
Hearing the responses from the contractors it definitely seems like they will be removing everything.
You can't go by what something "Seems like".

You are making assumptions.

Until they actually say they are removing everything down to the gunite, you have no reason to believe that.

You are choosing to believe what you want to be true.

This is how people end up disappointed because something did not happen that they thought was going to happen and the other person says that they never told you that they would do what you assumed they would do.

Reactions: Newdude

Per the staples, the other contractor sent an image and clarified that it would be 1/2" rebar. The image definitely seems to reinforce the fact that it is just a 'DIY staple'

It seems like the contractors that came out and quoted are all using some version of the rebar staple. It may come down to either that method or the contractor who uses carbon fiber staples. All the nearby Torque Lock contractors have some of the most horrid reviews I've seen. All three are under 2 stars on various sites. :(
Definitely get everything in writing like James said above. If it’s not written down that they will be removing all old plaster then they won’t remove all the old plaster. It’s a TON of work (actually several tons) and all of the contractors I got quote from said they’d only remove plaster that was delaminating already and any extra plaster they had to remove beyond a certain amount would be charged extra.

Reactions: JamesW
My first choice would be the Torque Lock staple system.

If I can't get that I will take the rebar staples over the carbon fiber.

Reactions: Bperry
re: full chip out of the pool.

Do they technically need to remove all the fiber tech finish before replastering? I am trying to understand if removing all the fiber-tech means removing all the plaster.

The companies say they will remove all the fiber-tech but under the replastering, they just say any trouble areas and around fittings with extra for hollow spots. Seems like these would just remove the finishing without needing to go all the way to the gunite?

Have you confirmed exactly what product is on the pool?

You might have several layers and you have to know exactly what the layers are.

The companies need to tell you exactly what is on the gunite layer by layer and exactly what they plan to do.

re: full chip out of the pool.

Do they technically need to remove all the fiber tech finish before replastering? I am trying to understand if removing all the fiber-tech means removing all the plaster.

The companies say they will remove all the fiber-tech but under the replastering, they just say any trouble areas and around fittings with extra for hollow spots. Seems like these would just remove the finishing without needing to go all the way to the gunite?
Sounds like they don’t plan to chip it all out. It’s not possible for hollow spots in the plaster to be there if there’s no plaster. 😉

Reactions: kimkats and JamesW
Right so here are the responses from both companies.

Company 1:
They will remove the fiberglass 100% and then determine if the pool has hollows. They will remove loose plaster that needs to be removed for the new plaster to bond correctly. (This sounds like they're avoiding a full chip out?)

Company 2:
They are doing a full fiberglass removal. They also say they will remove additional layers if necessary depending on delamination. However, they say the quote is for up to 2 layers of removal. Additional layers would be charged.

So it seems like both companies are only removing the fiberglass layer and removing extra layers if necessary based on delamination / hollows. Only exception is that Company 2 includes a potential full second layer chip out in the price while Company 1 doesn't.

I am assuming that full chip out would be best but it seems like the quotes aren't including it. Should it be something we ask for?

I would want to cut out a square to see how many total layers there are.

You need to know what is below the fiberglass.

It seems ambiguous at this point.

Is it a single layer of plaster or two layers or three or what?

If you cut out a square section down to the gunite at about 3" X 3" or so, you can look at the sides to count the layers.

In any case, I would be leaning towards a full "Down-to-the Gunite" chip out.

Are they doing the coping and tile at the same time?

Have the coping and tile been evaluated?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right so here are the responses from both companies.

Company 1:
They will remove the fiberglass 100% and then determine if the pool has hollows. They will remove loose plaster that needs to be removed for the new plaster to bond correctly. (This sounds like they're avoiding a full chip out?)

Company 2:
They are doing a full fiberglass removal. They also say they will remove additional layers if necessary depending on delamination. However, they say the quote is for up to 2 layers of removal. Additional layers would be charged.

So it seems like both companies are only removing the fiberglass layer and removing extra layers if necessary based on delamination / hollows. Only exception is that Company 2 includes a potential full second layer chip out in the price while Company 1 doesn't.

I am assuming that full chip out would be best but it seems like the quotes aren't including it. Should it be something we ask for?
There’s probably a reason they put fiberglass on it in the first place, which means the plaster underneath has probably failed. So it’s up to you if you want to risk it or not.

Finally following up on this. Our pool is currently in the process of getting fixed.

Watching them put the staples in, I haven't seen them put in any anchoring cement. Is this part necessary? It seems like they just drilled the holes and hammered in the rebar. Some videos I've seen online showed them using some sort of anchoring cement first.

I'll try to get some better pictures but watching the camera feed this seemed to be the order.

- Drill holes
- Add rebar
- Hammer in rebar
- Wash pool
- Cover with Scratch Kote / Hydraulic Cement mix

Currently the feed shows just a giant line of grey cement covering the rebar. I'm assuming this was the water proof layer they had mentioned work the hydraulic cement.

I didn't see any thing injected into the rebar holes.

IMG_20240208_151438.jpgScreenshot_20240208-152058.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.