Pool Painting

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
Sooooo we have a concrete free form in-ground 10 ft at the deep end ... was going to drain, power wash and have water trucked in before starting up for the season this year. Can't get rid of the black spots on the bottom of the pool floor, thinking maybe bc the existing paint is chipping. Husband said if I'm going to go to all that trouble I should repaint it, since it's empty.

Here's the problem ... the entire process (including repaint) would take at LEAST 7 days. I've been told our water table is too high and there's a good probability of issues occurring with an empty pool and high water table (pool heaving/piping busting/etc). By high I mean we have a constant flow of water coming into the basement.

Obvi, I can't paint it ... but the floor is tearing up the kids feet.

ANYONE have ANY suggestions for me? Or am I as out of luck as I think I am?

As far as painting, I wouldn't.
Waste of time and materials and it won't last more than a 1-2 years.

I once owned a pool that had been painted by the previous owner.
Every time I brushed or swept the floor, paint particles would come off.

Any time I had guests over the water would cloud up from walking on the floor
and stirring up the paint particles again.

Not worth it.

Agreed. We had a similar experience with our pool after we bought our house. The prior owner had it painted once the old plaster began to fail instead of re-plastering it. The paint chips also continuously clogged my robotic cleaner and filter. Have it re-plastered now or sometime in the future, but I wouldn't waste my time painting it. A good plaster company will probably drill through your shell if you are in a low water table area so it doesn't float when it's empty and then fill it in with plaster during application and then immediately fill with water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.