Pool opening roll call!!

In CT and leave my pool & friends that I take care of uncovered. Light leaves in the pool and temp about 50 degrees. Opened April 1st last year as I heat the pool & spa with an Central Boiler Outdoor wood furnace. Most likely will open the first week or so in April, and focus on heating for a couple of days to get to 75+ right away. Biggest problem I had opening early was the pollen from the trees in late/ April May. Since it did not rain much last year I got a lot of debris in the pool at that time, but just had to clean the filter after the pollen dump.

Today it got up to 85* outside, after doing Yardwork for a few hours I noticed the thermometer said the water was 75*! I christened the opening of the pool season with a refreshing cannonball! Then Swam with the dogs for a few minutes, it was a little cool but exactly what I needed to cool off.

Your climate/region - Jacksonville, North Florida
-Average/usual opening date (range) 60 deg low, 82 deg high, usually start swimming late February to early March.
-Current water temp- 94 degrees yesterday with solar running, started swimming last week however this weekend was the official opening date. Using solar bubble blanket to retain the heat. We also use the heat pump to keep water warm if we are swimming late at night. Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

The end of next week will touch the low 50s :(

I consider the beginning of May to be the average target, so I guess opening any time before that would be a bonus.

We probably could have managed to swim last week and most of this week had we opened the first week of March, but then by the end of next week it will be almost cold enough where it makes more sense to keep it closed. Oh well, I guess that's just how things go.

I will consider myself lucky that I wasn't too tempted to open up and run up my gas bill.

Update

Current water temp 57
Air 70+

In process of opening (2) pools by the end of the weekend in CT. Last year opened April 15th Normal for this area is Late May or even June 1st

Both are heated with outdoor wood furnaces, so even it it gets cold again or even snows we will be in our heated spas !!

We also both have salt water clorinators, freeze protection and variable speed pumps - so worst case is we use a little electric for the pumps, but we WILL be swimming.

Also since we leave our pools uncovered in the winter, warmer weather and leaves means we gotta start cleaning up before we get algae. Mine is clean now and just need to connect the pump and filter tomorrow, and let it run...

I decided on Sunday to work on my hard plumb project and once I was done all that was stopping me from opening was the cover. My fiance was nice enough to give me a hand :D

Managed to get about half of the leaves off with the cover, the other half along with a bit of water and "leaf slime" ended up in the pool as usual. I will DEFINITELY buy a leaf net this fall!

Finished filling yesterday and turned everything on. Tonight will be the first test, I might end up waiting until this weekend to get all the leaves out.

Smells like it still has a bit of chlorine! Although the sun will be eating some of it before I can test tonight.

Michgan 30 now was 77 "Pure Michigan" :grrrr:
-March
-I clogged my skimmer and my main drain grill is broken yeah!! Pools clear though. Ill post a pic in a bit.

Okay I got one in the dark!

IMG_20100802_214616.jpg

-Your climate/region: Norfolk, VA
-Average/usual opening date (range): 45ish mid May
-Current water temp: 57
-Anything else you're excited about or can think of to add: Just opened to a crystal clear pool, chlorine is low but thats expected. will be topping off the water over the next couple of days. then its just waiting till the water temp reaches high 70's till we can start to enjoy it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My water temp was at 59 last night. FC = 8.5ppm, I believe I closed it around 24-26 since my CYA was 85 or so (I don't have my log in front of my right now)

I tested CYA last night and it appears to be right between 50-60, I had my fiance do the test too and she thinks it's closer to 45-50.

At 55ppm CYA my target is 6.5, being at 8.5 I didn't add any CL.

pH is at 7.4, I will do a more complete test after I clean the leaves out.

I'm also planning to use the panty hose method to make my skimmer basket easier to clean out.

It's been warmer than usual here, and when they predicted 3-5 inches of rain possible last week, we took the cover off, and collected all of that in the pool instead of on top of the liner which I would have to drain out. We got about 4 1/2 inches, which put the water 1/2 inch or more into the skimmer, so just had to put another 1+ inches in.

Got a new SWG installed last weekend, redid some of the plumbing, moved the filter & pump back about a foot closer to the fence as the pump was hanging halfway off the concrete.

Since opening, caught 2 frogs, and a few crawdads.

Water still way too cold to swim in, but at least my wife will enjoy looking at the blue sparkly water instead of the black cover. :)

30 mins east of OKC. Normal march temps are in the 60-70's. Been in the 80's all week. First spring for a pool in several years but on the previous pool at the other house we waited until end of april first part of may to open mainly due to oak trees that dropped pollen all over. This new pool was kept open all year so it's crystal clean because I kept on top of it as it was a very mild winter to get out and mess with it. First swim was on monday. Water that day was 70. Today the water peaked out at 76 degrees on the digital thermometer!! Wooohoooo! Actually sitting poolside right now typing this on my phone :) awww water just dropped a degree to 75 :( lol that's ok. Tomorrow it'll warm right back up with these 80 degree days!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.