Pool opening - new liner/new water ... advice needed

Feb 15, 2013
Peoria, Illinois
My pool liner was not supposed to be installed for a few more weeks...but it happened this week. I completed filling the pool yesterday. I began running the pump yesterday as well. I'll keep it running 24/7 for the time being. I kept putting off buying the appropriate test chemicals thinking I had time. I took a sample to the pool store and here's what they came back with.

Total Chlorine 0.0
Free Chlorine 0.0
ph 8.4 (my test showed 7.4ish...again my test may be a few years old)
total alkalinity 240
CYA 0 (pool store said cold water will cause a zero reading...but I've never heard of or had this issue prior).
Temp? not sure...my stupid thermometer broke...but I'm guessing it's in the 60's.

I had some CYA test chemicals left, but it was a few years old so I'm not sure how good it was. But my reading came back super low as well. My guess is this is to be expected given this is a brand new fill? So...I need some guidance until I get the appropriate test chemicals ordered. I don't want the pool to explode with algae.

How much do I trust the pool store with their readings? My main concern is the PH and CYA.

Do I assume PH is ok...or should I try to lower it a bit? Do I assume the CYA is 0ish and add enough stabilizer to get it up to 30/40 (again...I can't test it after the fact)...then start adding chlorine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, let me know.

Use your TF100 kit for water chemistry testing. Get a full set of refills ordered now.

Fill water has no CYA in it, the PS personnel are not real bright.

Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now. Start 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving using the sock method now. CYA product doe not go bad if it has not gotten wet.

Maintain the 3 ppm FC level each day. When you get your testing supplies, run a full set of tests and post.

Can you at least test pH right now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.