Pool Opening - Ice/Algae Issues this year - Opinions Please

Re: Pool Opening - Ice/Algae Issues this year - Opinions Ple

Test the fleet farm brands. I have the strength at times to be weak and that is why I go to tubs of fun. No, with all the discounts, its about $12.25 a case so if you could check the strength, then I too will be switching to Fleet Farm. I will have to let Troy know this. Also, yea, the sales people there are just that. Salesman, but I like the 17 mil as the ones online are only 12 mil and they don't seem to last as long. That is why I order from Tubs of Fun. If you do it, then try it. Another site that has a 12 mil blue black one is http://www.intheswim.com. If you go that route, then stay in touch to let me know how you like it. If it is good, then I would say that is the route to go. Not all Thermo-Shield have the same thickness.

Did not try fleet farm for the cases of bleach. How much do you buy at a time? I already purchased my order for this year, but may have to switch if its that cheap. $10.73 after tax is pretty good so saving about $2 a case and I buy 15 a pop so that is still a good savings. I could then just purchase maybe 5-8 cases off and on and not get the weird look for buying that much bleach at a time as pools are becoming more popular in the area.

Let me know your thoughts please. :cheers:

I didn't see there was a second page to this thread, so I didn't see your reply until now. Sorry for the late reply! I also sent you a PM once I found out what a "PM" was!! But it's sitting in my outbox, and not in my sent items, so I'm guessing you haven't seen it. How do I get it to go through?

Fleet Farm Bleach:
It's in a white box with blue lettering "Pool Shock" by the pool stuff. The jugs are "So White Brand - Pool Clear". Active ingredient: Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%, Inert Ingredients 87.5%, Available Chlorine 15%.

Should I not trust the label? When you say to "test the fleet farm brand", how do you mean to test it? When I use the Pool Calculator and add the specified amount, it seems to bring it up to the indicated FC value - I use the FAS-DPD test kit.

They are in the Fleet Farm ad "on sale" for $9.95, but I have never seen them go above that price. At the end of the year, if I remember correctly, they were even cheaper than that when they're trying to clear out their inventory. I've bought as many as 8 cases at a time I think....didn't get too odd of a look, but then again, I don't care! :)

So, back to the cover. Do you think the 17 mil cover they're trying to sell me at Tubs of Fun is the Covertech Thermo-Shield? Maybe I should talk to Troy instead, and mention that I know someone who ordered one through him and that I'd like the covertech Thremo-shield brand and see if he can still get it? If I'm going to drop the money, I want to know that someone else has had good luck with it!

Let me know how to get you my PM, and my contact info will be in there.

Your test is fine with the DPD test kit. Should be good stuff. I have used the Pool Clear brand last year. I think those idiots are getting it from Fleet Farm and then they mark it up! If that's the case, I am gonna be really P!ssed off! Thanks for the info. I too sent you an email, couple of texts, and also a PM. You should have my direct number now if you wish to visit by email or by phone.

Later

Another quick Pic that I had to share! Awesome morning. Not swimming yet, but soon. Much later spring this year. Water is 70. Not too bad. First swim was taken this morning. Bit chilly! :cheers:

Here is what I usually do in my Pool each year! Thanks to BBB, I have been doing this for 6 years now! Bought my house with the pool in 2007! Would not know what to do without this cool pool site and I try to contribute when and where I can to others.

I plan to do a full liner replacement and upgrade to the pool bottom surface using vermiculite and to replace the old metal return line. Nothing major, just a complete overhaul. Most likely in 3-4 years. I redid the pool pad completely myself using the help from this website 3 years ago and it looks great and has worked even better. I now open the pool myself every spring. I still have my pool company help me close it as doing it myself is a PITA! I give the local pool service some business and keep the relationship strong for when I plan to use them with the pool overhaul coming down the road.

Thought I would share a great pic with my daughter and me and the pool. Today its cool, but next week looks great. Hoping for Rain here in ND as it is getting a bit dry. Farmers could use some rain on their crops!

Happy swims to all! Take care and God Bless!

Cheers! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.