22HappyAcres

Sep 17, 2022
Texas
I am having extra trouble this year with all sorts of algae due to the Texas heat. Our pool is about 36,000 gallons (we think) and is about 20 feet from our lake. This means we end up with all sorts of critters in our water daily: frogs, snakes, turtles, mice, you name it.

We have a tower for chlorine tabs set to it's highest setting, and the Intellichem system set for pH and ORP. Despite both, and adding tabs to our baskets occasionally, and shocking, and adding algaecide, our chlorine levels remain on the low side and we are fighting all sorts of algae constantly.

Our Cyanuric acid level is good so I don't think it is that. No one in our area deals with the Intellichem system, so I'm having to learn as I go. We've had the system for about 8 years, and done "okay", but this year has been absolutely terrible. My thought is to increase both the settings for the ORP (to around 800) and pH (to around 7.5) to see if I can have more free chlorine and hopefully less algae, but before I do that I thought Id ask if anyone else has dealt with this sort of issue.

Having a constant source of algae introduced into the pool from all the animals makes things way more challenging than normal. This is not my first pool, but my first with this system. Thank you in advance for any help you can give!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

We are not big fans of the IntelliChem system, so you might have to wait a day or so to get a reply from a member that has that system.

We really need data to make recommendations... Saying your CYA is "ok" is meaningless. We need to know the actual CYA reading.

You do not have algae issues because you live near a lake, you have algae issues because you are not maintaining your FC at the appropriate level.

You should take a good read through our Pool Schools and see what we are all about.

Let's see what our other members have to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I think Jim already said it well. The foundation of everything TFP is based on accurate testing from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If you have one of those, please post a full set of results. Anything less is kind of spinning your wheels and can become very frustrating. Be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page for all things TFP and you'll see what we mean.

If you have ANY questions at all just let us know. Lots of folks here eager to help keep that pool clean & clear.

Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Reactions: Mdragger88
We've had the system for about 8 years, and done "okay", but this year has been absolutely terrible.
Welcome fellow Texan.
What has changed this year vs. The previous Years? So long as the critters have not decomposed in the pool the impact would be minimal assuming the chlorine levels are at proper levels. Have you ever replaced the water in your pool completely or just did fill up due to evaporation?

The TFP methodology follows 2 key principals - do your own testing (as noted by the request for test data) and understand and follow the FC/CYA Levels. As your CYA increases over time, with the use of tabs that contain CYA, the demand for higher FC levels is necessary to maintain a properly sanitized pool and prevent algae.

This concept is a little different from traditional pool store chemical guidelines so the review of articles will help to understand this methodology. The great part of this TFP methodology is that it does not require the use of special algaecides or other pool store potions that try to fix things. The vast majority of my chemical purchases are liquid chlorine and muracitic acid.

There are many experts and long time users on the forum that are willing to provide guidance that has worked to keep an algae free pool.

My understanding is that the IntelliChem, basically monitors pH and FC (ORP) and then adds acid to reduce pH and adds liquid Chlorine, or controls the output of a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG), to adjust the FC.

It appears to me that you are using a tab feeder, so I cannot understand how the IntelliChem is controlling your FC at all. :scratch:

It could just be that I don't completely understand the operation of the IntelliChem, as I do not have any direct experience with it.

Can you tell us how the IntelliChem is adjusting the output of your tab feeder or how it controls the FC level in your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.