Pool newbie thought I may be able to get some unbiased answers here.

Awesome info thanks alot. I think I will tell salesman to up the heater size to 400,000 and I think it is a 480 filter is the next step up. Definitely going with SWG so what is the thoughts on the largest Jandy? Is 2 a better option? If I did 2 SWG would I have to go with 2 pumps? Should I go with VS pumps.

Its a good idea to have at least 2x the size recommendation of the SWG. So for example, I have a 19,000 gallon pool and bought an Autopilot Total Control with RC-52 cell which is rated for 52,000 gallons (they have a larger one which is rated up to 67,000 gallons). My original SWG (installed by PB) was rated for 20,000 but even at 100% x 24 hours, it could not keep up with my pool in the peak of summer (have full sun most of day and very hot summer). So I replaced 3 month old SWG because it was undersized. The AutoPilot Pool Pilot does support Jandy automation, although you lose some of the features of the autopilot (like freeze protection and auto adjustment based upon water temperature).

Yes, you could run 2 units if you want to stick with Jandy, but I do not know if Jandy automation can control 2 of them or not.

As for VS pump, it can be a good option. I love my VS as its saving me big $ over my original 1 speed pump. You can look for example at this thread for some discussions on vs or dual speed comparisons, and some of the tools available to help you decide if it will pay for itself or not.

Yes to VS pump, they are much more energy efficient. No you don't need two pumps for two SWGs. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG and it only uses 150 watts.

This forum is great, after reading a little more about pools here I am learning more and more questions. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. LOL.
Another question was about the autofill and overflow. I read in you first post pooldv the you have an autofill and overflow, I am not familiar with this, but if it reduces maintenance I am all for it.
Also as far as the brand of equipment I get the gist that Jandy doesn't like the home owner to mess with any of the equipment, and require the pool builder to do all maintenance to their equip. I guess that would be OK if the PB was available 24/7 and wasn't at all concerned with their motives.
Would I be better off going with a Pentair system?
Is their customer service much better than the Jandy?
Would they be willing to walk me as the home owner through problems?
I worry that PB sells Jandy just so I have to keep coming back to him for service problems?????

I don't know if Jandy or Pentair likes you to mess with the equipment, but once it is purchased it is yours. Be empowered, learn how it operates and do what you'd like to with it. Jandy may be just as easy, but if you were to go Pentair Easytouch or Intellitouch - I would say a requirement to add on top of that is the Screen Logic. This gives you a complete PC/Mac interface for setup of the system (and iOS and Android apps access for operation) and makes it much easier and straight forward than at the panel.

Your PB should walk you through the system you do choose and do the set up and then you can tweak it later if you like and if you like to get "into the weeds". Just knowing that you are on this site you will likely be very active with your pool and want the control, so it is up to you to learn the system. If you've got questions all of the Pentair manuals are online and there are many users here with the systems. Just reading and searching the forums for two weeks I've already learned a few things I didn't know about mine - like how to add an additional actuator even though PB told me I was maxed out and also how to use it to control a Stenner pump for Chlorine. Most everything you'd want to do - someone has probably already attempted before you and you can find the information here or ask and someone will help out.

Again - I'm not saying not to go Jandy, they may have all the capabilities you need and be able to expand as well, I have no experience with it, I'm just saying I now know what I can do with Pentair and so far really like the system and the control I have from my PC and my iOS devices.

I have Jandy equipment an while it is true they limit tech support I have not found it to be a problem. Basically they will answer and troubleshoot any problems short of you having to open the power center, they have a hard stop when it comes to dealing with electrical components. So far I have had a bad temp sensor and a bad relay, they were not willing to send me those parts under warranty and let me replace them my self, a job that literally took 5 minutes. My PB is an authorized repair company for Jandy and parts and labor were covered so I have little to complain about. Even if I did not use the builder for the repair they provided a list of authorized company's in the area so I would have been covered either way. The warranty is 3 years for everything except pool sweeps.

I'm guessing the companies keep up with each other quite well, if you purchase at least 3 major Pentair components they will also extend your warranty from one year to 3 on all Pentair equipment.

Here are a few cad drawings. Also just talked to a buddy of mine who sells central boilers, wood burning boilers. I think we are going to use that for pool heat as well as to heat my pole barn with as well. Anybody ever hear any pros and cons of this?

Back yard Layout 3.jpgBack yard Layout 2.jpgBack yard Layout 1.jpg

I love the design. And your lot seems beautiful and huge! Now I see why you are going so big with the pool. Is the fire pit new or existing? If new and part of this project, I personally would relocate it to a separate destination from the outdoor kitchen pavilion. Perhaps where you have the bushes along the patio walkway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. As far as the fire pit, the CAD program we use kinda limits us to getting a good visual. The fire pit is actually like a 360 degree fire place/chiminea it will be integrated with the pavilion and will have a chimney top going through the roof of the fire place/pit. so you can sit inside or outside and enjoy the fire.

I have a bit of experience with wood heating (both barn and an AG pool) using 3 foot cord wood. Don't go 'hydronic' (water jacket around firebox). Combustion area doesn't get hot enough so smokiness and creosote buildup is almost unmanageable. I don't know about what's out there in terms of a proper wood fired boiler, but that's what I'd go with. Wood was good exercise and fun to do when I was younger ;)

What about two SWGs and would that pay back in pump run-time savings? It might with a single speed pump, but also I think your lowest cost option is a single SWG, and a two speed pump (or VS pump) run on low power for longer hours. I think any of those SWGs and a VS pump is less $ than a low-cost pump and two SWGs.

I was a little concerned originally and the ledge as well but I think in the end it will be nice. It will be a 12" wide ledge 3'4" deep.

We have a ledge that is more of a seat, 12" X 2' deep, a great place to enjoy an adult beverage...

We don't have main drains in Aus, they where banned after a tragic drowning when a kids hair was caught in the drain, I've never missed what I've never had.

I don't know if Jandy or Pentair likes you to mess with the equipment, but once it is purchased it is yours. Be empowered, learn how it operates and do what you'd like to with it. Jandy may be just as easy, but if you were to go Pentair Easytouch or Intellitouch - I would say a requirement to add on top of that is the Screen Logic. This gives you a complete PC/Mac interface for setup of the system (and iOS and Android apps access for operation) and makes it much easier and straight forward than at the panel.

Your PB should walk you through the system you do choose and do the set up and then you can tweak it later if you like and if you like to get "into the weeds". Just knowing that you are on this site you will likely be very active with your pool and want the control, so it is up to you to learn the system. If you've got questions all of the Pentair manuals are online and there are many users here with the systems. Just reading and searching the forums for two weeks I've already learned a few things I didn't know about mine - like how to add an additional actuator even though PB told me I was maxed out and also how to use it to control a Stenner pump for Chlorine. Most everything you'd want to do - someone has probably already attempted before you and you can find the information here or ask and someone will help out.

Again - I'm not saying not to go Jandy, they may have all the capabilities you need and be able to expand as well, I have no experience with it, I'm just saying I now know what I can do with Pentair and so far really like the system and the control I have from my PC and my iOS devices.

I had a daunting problem with my Pentair system. While they prefer professional install (hor is issue was with a self install) they stuck with me through the whole deal, were responsive usually within a few hours via email, and few minutes via phone. Once we found out the problem (bad SWG), they sent me a new replacement for a unit I bough from Amazon, and installed myself. And most of the rest of my system is 5 years old so I'm sure the warranty is up on that.

I have always wondered how 2 SWGs could be run in parallel. Maybe an IC60 is big enough.

Anyway, if I were to move, build a pool, or upgrade a pool, I'd go with pentair filter because I like DE, and the quad seems to be the nicest one with exceptionally low back pressure (low power costs), easytouch, or Intellitouch if it had lots of fancy features, screenlogic (gotta have my iPhone controls at my fingertips) 3hp pentair intelliflow VS (I love low power costs, and super quiet operation), IntelliPH, and RayPak 400 heater.

Maybe we should start a link of "ideal equipment setup" and see what co es out of that. (Or maybe there already is one).

More importantly, for the electrics, buy all from one company. Heater, just get RayPak (seems to be nearly a consuls here on that), filter, choose what your personal preference is. But the rest? Make sure it is all from one company.

Also, get as big a filter as you dare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.