Feb 28, 2009
College Station, Texas USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool motor recently started screeching. Hopefully you can listen to it with the short 10-second video in the link below. I am thinking the bearings are going out (?), but want to know if there is something I can do to repair or fix vs. buying a new motor. I believe the motor is only a few years old (5 or less).

Pool pump motor noise

Last edited:
My pool motor recently started screeching. Hopefully you can listen to it with the short 10-second video in the link below. I am thinking the bearings are going out (?), but want to know if there is something I can do to repair or fix vs. buying a new motor. I believe the motor is only a few years old (5 or less).

Pool pump motor noise
Definitely sounds like bearings. A problem with NorthStar pumps was that once the seal started leaking they would continue to have that problem even after a seal and/or seal and motor replacement. Replacing the motor and seal would probably just result in the problem happening again. Most pool repair people, in this area, gave up working on them as they couldn't guarantee the repair would last. You could have the motor taken to a repair shop and have bearings installed, put a new seal in the pump and try again, but your best option would be to go with a new VSP. There are variable-speed motors that will fit that pump, but a leaking seal will damage them as well.

If you decide to get a new motor, and can find one, it must be a motor made for a NorthStar. They were not the same as a standard pool motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.