Pool Math........The App

Just returned from traveling. Am now trying to switch over from the Pool Math web site to the new iOS app. Given all the improvements, have others found it reliable enough to do so?

Also, in the case of pH and SWG I thought I should be aiming for a target of 7.8 however the app is telling me 7.4. That calls for a considerable difference in muriatic acid added. Can that be right?

Just returned from traveling. Am now trying to switch over from the Pool Math web site to the new iOS app. Given all the improvements, have others found it reliable enough to do so?

Also, in the case of pH and SWG I thought I should be aiming for a target of 7.8 however the app is telling me 7.4. That calls for a considerable difference in muriatic acid added. Can that be right?

The Pool Math app and web page are built off the same chemical equations and should produce the same results. I would suggest using both for a while and compare the results. That way you can be sure for yourself that you are getting the correct numbers.

The suggested ranges in the App are based on TFP suggested levels. For all pools, pH can be anywhere from 7.2 to 7.8. There is no reason why an SWG pool needs a specific pH level as the pH range of the pool water depends on a lot of factors not related to an SWG. Some people say that their SWG pools "like" to hang at a specific pH but that is specific to their pools and not a general rule.

In the Overview screen of the App, when you tap pH, you can see at the top that you can edit both the current pH and your Target value and the App will calculate the needed amount of acid or base.

The suggested ranges in the App are based on TFP suggested levels. For all pools, pH can be anywhere from 7.2 to 7.8. There is no reason why an SWG pool needs a specific pH level as the pH range of the pool water depends on a lot of factors not related to an SWG. Some people say that their SWG pools "like" to hang at a specific pH but that is specific to their pools and not a general rule.

In the Overview screen of the App, when you tap pH, you can see at the top that you can edit both the current pH and your Target value and the App will calculate the needed amount of acid or base.

OK - thanks. I'll follow the guidance in the app then in terms of FC and pH. It would appear I've been adding much too little muriatic acid (18 oz vs 41 oz for example). I was consistently aiming for 7.8 whereas given my other readings, the app is suggesting a target of 7.4.

OK - thanks. I'll follow the guidance in the app then in terms of FC and pH. It would appear I've been adding much too little muriatic acid (18 oz vs 41 oz for example). I was consistently aiming for 7.8 whereas given my other readings, the app is suggesting a target of 7.4.

I'm not sure this is right??

What screen are you talking about? can you post a screenshot?

TFP never says you have to be at a specific pH value. Your pH value should be whatever it is that has you dosing the least amount of acid. Often times, if you try to target a low pH like 7.4, you will always be adding acid and doing so all too frequently. But, if Target a pH of no lower than 7.6 and only add acid when you get to 7.8, then that can often mean very small and fewer acid additions.

It all depends on your pool and where it likes to sit in pH.

You also need to listen to your pool. If you are always have to chase the PH to keep it down to 7.4 it might be happier at 7.? Once you find the sweet spot with your TA and PH you will not have to chase PH as much.

Kim:kim:

I think there may be a misperception that the app is recommending target points and is compounded by the fact that the app is not remembering what you set your targets at. I have to change mine every time I go to see how much to add of whatever I need.

I think there may be a misperception that the app is recommending target points and is compounded by the fact that the app is not remembering what you set your targets at. I have to change mine every time I go to see how much to add of whatever I need.

Can you please email steps you do when this happens to [email protected]. I've tried to recreate this and cannot do so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got your email and now can recreate this. Let me talk it over with the developer as both he and I tend to remember having it do this on purpose for some reason. For the life of me now I cannot remember why that was.

I'll respond back shortly.

And that's where you lost me. Why? Why does my data need to be stored remotely?

Here is an example of how I use the app. I do my testing inside where it is nice and comfortable and punch my test results in on my iPad. I then take my iPhone outside where the chemicals are, open the app and my results are right there.

If the data was only stored locally this would not work.

Any way to get the app to remember target levels? Having the recommended in the upper section is a good way to be sure your target levels are within that range. The app just forgets what you set your targets to. For bonus points, maybe if your target it outside the recommended levels it would turn red or something.

Other than that -- this has easily replaced my previous apps.

Anyone know why I wouldn't get a csi calculation?

2f0a3b98c5f2f606c1fbd3152e5a468d.jpg

Here is an example of how I use the app. I do my testing inside where it is nice and comfortable and punch my test results in on my iPad. I then take my iPhone outside where the chemicals are, open the app and my results are right there.

If the data was only stored locally this would not work.

That part makes sense. It should be an option though.

That part makes sense. It should be an option though.

Seems that this has been addressed many times. If you do not like it, then turn off your data plan and it will keep it all locally. Or use something else until the time where alternate methods in PoolMath are developed ... which is a low priority.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.