Pool liner looks like bullet holes

wkusae31

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Lexington, KY
Hey everyone. My house and pool are about 6 years old. I'm the second owner of both and moved in around October 2014. The previous owners were complete morons. Long story short, I opened my cover 3 weeks ago and the pool water level was about 2' higher than the floor skimmer in my deep end. Pool company said I had a leak. Today, they took the liner out and the pool liner has over a dozen small pen-head size holes that they found (if not more) all on the floor and maybe 3-4 on the side walls. They also told me that this looked like the 2nd liner that was installed at this pool. My questions and concern:

1. This can't be 2nd liner of a 6 year old pool, right? If so, that would mean the previous owners had a lot of liner problems?
2. Would my dolphin be creating these holes? The dolphin is about 5 years old and often gets stuck going up side walls. As I stated previously, the previous owners were morons so all of the pool equipment has broken down, at least once, since I bought. I did not buy a cheap house nor a cheap pool.
3. The liner looks like it has small rock indention everywhere.

Any help or clue as to why this had so many holes or is this pretty common?

The pics below are after 3 days of heavy rain. The water level was almost non-existent when the pool cover came off.

2017-05-19 15.16.10.jpg
2017-05-19 15.16.36.jpg

It is possible that insects are making the holes in the liner. It is also possible that the floor of the pool was not prepared properly if it feels like there are small rocks under the liner. If you decide to replace rather than patch the liner be sure they inspect the pool floor to see if it needs to be re-worked or if there is any evidence of bugs under there.

It definitely had a "small pebble" feel on your toes and hands when you rubbed on the liner. I've never owned a pool but I thought that was a little alarming and probably why I had some many little puncture holes. The guys now are using pool mix over the top of the concrete in the deep end and it looks pretty smooth, but I can still tell it's not exactly smooth. The company that put this in, originally, is not the same company doing it now.

They also swear it's a 2nd liner that's been used, not the first, which would mean a liner replacement every 3 years since it's 6 years old and this is the 3rd liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.