Pool Liner - 20 versus 27 mil....Merilin Aqua Wave Tile / Caribbean Quartz Floor....

FletchMan

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Virginia Beach
We are replacing our liner and decided we liked the Merlin Aqua Wave Tile / Caribbean Quartz Floor. It only comes in 20 mil. The pool company is dissuading us from a 20 mil liner and suggest a 27 mil.

We went over to the pool store and brought the sample book back for the weekend. There are other options, but I would like to know your opinions on this?

What has been your experiences with 20 versus 27 mil?

Unless there is an issue with the install of a 20 mil liner, or the life span is negatively affected, I know enough to make an informed decision.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you ,
Fletcher

There's no gotchas with a 20 mil liner as far as I know. Half of Merlin's lineup is 20 mil. I'm sure my existing liner is 20 mil and it's been fine for years. With that said, we just went with the Merlin Shelter Cove which is 27 mil. When spending this much on a liner (labor actually) I'm going with "better safe than sorry". I hate spending more on labor than materials so try not to skimp in that department. But probably even more importantly, we liked the Shelter Cove so went with it. If the Aqua Wave is the one you like, go for it.