south florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have Intermatic PX300 light transformer box and a Intermatic PX300 light transformer box with my pool equiptment. The 2 lights in my pool are very dim and the one in my spa does not light. I am looking to upgrade things. I plan on keeping my Aqualogic control board. Looking for ideas. Thanks.

I have Intermatic PX300 light transformer box and a Intermatic PX300 light transformer box with my pool equiptment. The 2 lights in my pool are very dim and the one in my spa does not light. I am looking to upgrade things. I plan on keeping my Aqualogic control board. Looking for ideas. Thanks.
How far away from the pool are the transformers?
What lights are in your pool/spa?
LED? Incandescent?
If incandescent, the bulbs are likely 300W. Running two 300W lights on one 300W transformer will give dim lights. You need one transformer for each light in that case. If the transformer is far from the pool, you could try using one of the higher voltage taps for the two lights, that will increase light a bit by overcoming the voltage loss of a long run but won't make up for having only one transformer on incandescent lights.
The spa light probably has a burned bulb.
You can get 12V LED replacement bulbs for your fixtures if they are not LED lights already. In that case the one transformer for the pool would be sufficient.

How far away from the pool are the transformers?
What lights are in your pool/spa?
LED? Incandescent?
If incandescent, the bulbs are likely 300W. Running two 300W lights on one 300W transformer will give dim lights. You need one transformer for each light in that case. If the transformer is far from the pool, you could try using one of the higher voltage taps for the two lights, that will increase light a bit by overcoming the voltage loss of a long run but won't make up for having only one transformer on incandescent lights.
The spa light probably has a burned bulb.
You can get 12V LED replacement bulbs for your fixtures if they are not LED lights already. In that case the one transformer for the pool would be sufficient.
I do not know what lights are in the pool and spa but they are old and change colors so I believe because of age they are incadescent. As far as distance the pool lights are within 15-20 feet and the spa maybe 20-25 feet. Previously when lights were new they did not seem dim. So I see you like LED and I was thinking that would be a could idea but I see from past posts of members that sometimes they only last a short time. My understanding is that incadescent lights do not need to be shielded from water so I am wondering what are the needs of led lights. Any name brands that come to your mind for the LEDs? lastly why do I have a 300 and 100 transformer...perhaps 2 lights pool and 1 spa?

I do not know what lights are in the pool and spa but they are old and change colors so I believe because of age they are incadescent. As far as distance the pool lights are within 15-20 feet and the spa maybe 20-25 feet. Previously when lights were new they did not seem dim. So I see you like LED and I was thinking that would be a could idea but I see from past posts of members that sometimes they only last a short time. My understanding is that incadescent lights do not need to be shielded from water so I am wondering what are the needs of led lights. Any name brands that come to your mind for the LEDs? lastly why do I have a 300 and 100 transformer...perhaps 2 lights pool and 1 spa?
Still need to know what brand and type of lights. Most color-changing lights are LED, but LEDs dim after a while. Your post said two PX300 transformers, "I have Intermatic PX300 light transformer box and a Intermatic PX300 light transformer box with my pool equiptment."

I must have been tired. I have 1 300 and 1 100. sorry.
I wonder how I can know what light type without taking it out. Did they have LED pool lights 5 -7 years ago?

Both lights in the pictures are Pentair Intellibrite lights.
You need to check for voltage in the junction boxes to see if there is 12V getting to the light cord when the light is turned on. Use a meter.
If so, the light engine is bad and needs replacing, not inexpensive.
The ones that are dim may be going bad or may be under voltage with two coming off one transformer. You could change the voltage to the light to the 13V tap in the transformer and may get better light.
So far, there are no "long lasting" color changing LED lights on the market.
It also looks like a bad glue joint is allowing water to spray on the transformers. Not a good condition.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for this information: Is the following my light: IntelliBrite® 5G Color LED Pool Lights

7-800 a piece seems like a lot for something that will not last. I am open to any ideas if I need replacement. If my lights are LED would 300 w be ok for 2 lights and 100 w for one? Tomorrow when its light I will open those junction boxes and check the volage.
I wonder if the bad glue joint was old has been repaired because I do not see any spraying,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both wires give 14 V AC on the 300. When I do ground to one of the wires it gives 3.6 and the other one 11.4 (I don't understand that btw). The 100 w give 13.6 V.

Is this a reasonable idea?

Attachments

• IMG_7242 (1).jpg
    IMG_7242 (1).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
BTW, I think I have come to the conclusion that my only option is to buy 3 new "light engines" from somewhere. Seems as though there is no synchronization of lights with the gizmo in the video I posted above. Thank you

I know like it seems like I resigned my self to purchase new LED colar "light engines" from pentair, but with the expense and no guarantee for longevity, is this an opportunity to go in different direction or stay on course?

Both lights in the pictures are Pentair Intellibrite lights.
You need to check for voltage in the junction boxes to see if there is 12V getting to the light cord when the light is turned on. Use a meter.
If so, the light engine is bad and needs replacing, not inexpensive.
The ones that are dim may be going bad or may be under voltage with two coming off one transformer. You could change the voltage to the light to the 13V tap in the transformer and may get better light.
So far, there are no "long lasting" color changing LED lights on the market.
It also looks like a bad glue joint is allowing water to spray on the transformers. Not a good condition.
bump (see above)

I know like it seems like I resigned my self to purchase new LED colar "light engines" from pentair, but with the expense and no guarantee for longevity, is this an opportunity to go in different direction or stay on course?
Two new Pentair Amerilites with incandescent bulbs and the appropriate cord length. Replace the bulb with whatever LED bulb you wish and the gasket with a silicone one.

Reactions: william13
Two new Pentair Amerilites with incandescent bulbs and the appropriate cord length. Replace the bulb with whatever LED bulb you wish and the gasket with a silicone one.
Can the LED be in color? Sorry I realize it can be but I have never used color LEDs before. BTW I have 3 as there is a smaller spa one. Can all these LED be synchronized?

Last edited: