New Hampshire, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have: 3 Globrite lights ~100 ft to J-Box, and a 300W Pentair transformer about 10ft from J-Box.

What wire should I run from from transformer to J-Box?

Can I use 8/2 Underground Feeder Cable UF-B Copper 600V? I've heard that voltage drop is a major issue with 12V, so I was thinking to use a large AWG, does it make sense?

The ground wire is not needed for 12V, but can I use the 8AWG ground wire inside UF cable as a bonding for the J-Box to Transformer, or does bonding MUST be outside of the box?

Ah, I just realized transformer gives options for 12V, 13V, and 14V, I do not need to run the 8AWG wire. What wire would you suggest to run? 12AWG? Should it be stranded or solid copper?

I have: 3 Globrite lights ~100 ft to J-Box, and a 300W Pentair transformer about 10ft from J-Box.

What wire should I run from from transformer to J-Box?

Can I use 8/2 Underground Feeder Cable UF-B Copper 600V? I've heard that voltage drop is a major issue with 12V, so I was thinking to use a large AWG, does it make sense?

The ground wire is not needed for 12V, but can I use the 8AWG ground wire inside UF cable as a bonding for the J-Box to Transformer, or does bonding MUST be outside of the box?
Instruction manual gives all the data for each installation. Best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Thank you for your replies.
re 1poolman1:
Instruction manual gives all the data for each installation. Best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
The manufacturer recommends 12AWG minimum from Transformer to J-Box. There is no more information about the wire type, and would be best to use.

re JamesW:
Globrite already comes with the wire. So, from light to J-Box I am going to use whatever the lights are coming with. I am only wondering about from Transformer to J-Box.

Another question I have: if one light is 25Ft from J-Box, another 50Ft from J-Box and the third is 100Ft. Should I feed them with different voltage from the the transformer? This also means I would need to run more wires from the transformer to J-Box.

Solid or stranded, your choice as both are acceptable.
From a wire manufacturer (Consolidated Wire):

Some key differences of stranded vs. solid copper wire include:
  • Stranded vs. solid wire current capacity. Solid wire is thicker, which means less surface area for dissipation. The thinner wires in stranded wire contain air gaps and greater surface area with the individual strands, translating to more dissipation. When choosing between solid or stranded wire for house wiring, the solid wire offers higher current capacity.
  • Routing. Stranded wires offer superior bendability and flexibility, making them easier to route around obstacles than solid wires.
  • Flexibility. Stranded wires are more flexible and can sustain more vibration and flexing without breaking. Solid wires may require more frequent replacement than stranded wires in applications with significant movement or vibrations.
  • Cost. The production costs of solid wire are much lower than stranded wire, which makes solid wire the more affordable choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.