Pool lights tripping a DIFFERENT breaker in the panel. HELP!

Again, I'm with tstex. This is a PB warranty issue if its been happening since the pool was installed. I'd also be calling Hayward if its a Hayward pump. But I also think the light transformer may be the root of the problem.

Chris, it sounds like gwegan knows what he is talking about here :rockon: LOL

Have you contacted your PB or Hayward? if so what did they say? Or, did you sub this out and do some of the work? Nothing wrong w the latter, but it doesn't sound like a controller was installed. I do not see one in your equipment listing.

My PB just installed the pool and equipment. I had my own electrician (who also happens to be a friend of mine) do the electrical.

I tried moving the light breaker as far away as I could in the panel. It didn't solve the problem, but it might have helped. Instead of the breaker tripping after 4 or 5 switches on and off, it tripped after 9 switches.

My electrician is coming over today and we're going to work through it all. We spoke last night and one idea he had (as a last resort) was to move the light switch to be after the transformer, thus leaving the transformer always on. I'm on the fence on that one.

In any case, I have a new gfi breaker, a new switch and I'm going to pick up a new transformer as well in case we can isolate the problem to one of those components. I'll also try calling Hayward to see if they have any thoughts or suggestions.

The problem is solved! Neither the electrician or myself are exactly sure what the problem was, but there must have been a crossed wire or bad connection somewhere. The first thing he did this morning when he arrived was disconnect everything on the light circuit (breaker, switch, transformer and lights) and then slowly start adding components one by one. In the end he got everything reconnected and it worked as expected, no trips to the pump circuit!

Thanks again everyone for your tips and suggestions!

The problem is solved! Neither the electrician or myself are exactly sure what the problem was, but there must have been a crossed wire or bad connection somewhere. The first thing he did this morning when he arrived was disconnect everything on the light circuit (breaker, switch, transformer and lights) and then slowly start adding components one by one. In the end he got everything reconnected and it worked as expected, no trips to the pump circuit!

Thanks again everyone for your tips and suggestions!

Chris,

Glad things are working.

Is your pool subpanel configured now [currently working] exactly as it was in the first picture? if not, what is changed?

Did your electrician use all the same components as orig pic or did he switch-out anything?

How many times did you turn-on/off your lights while your pump/et el was running?

Also, what is the total Amp draw on your DB 20AMP breaker w pump and other, both at start-up and operating speeds?

thanks,
tstex

Chris,

Glad things are working.

Is your pool subpanel configured now [currently working] exactly as it was in the first picture? if not, what is changed?

Did your electrician use all the same components as orig pic or did he switch-out anything?

How many times did you turn-on/off your lights while your pump/et el was running?

Also, what is the total Amp draw on your DB 20AMP breaker w pump and other, both at start-up and operating speeds?

thanks,
tstex

Actually, he did. He changed the non-GFCI light breaker to a GFCI breaker. Coincidentally, it's the same breaker that was installed last year when everything was first hooked up and removed to try and solve this problem. Everything else is the same.

As far as load on the pump circuit, looking at the manuals the pump is 15 amps max, SWG is 2.3 - 6.7 amps and the heater is minimal since it's only needed for the ignitor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.