Pool light recommendations.

Thurge

Jun 30, 2013
Hello TFP!

So my pool has been out of commission for the past two years due to a massive tear in the liner. This year I decided to pull the trigger on replacing it. After the liner was removed I was surprised to discover (after 7 years of having no light in my pool) that there is a fixture where a light would normally be mounted in the deep end. Earlier today, a pool light installer did a little digging (literally) and found that there is a pipe connected to that feature already in place. Apparently, all that is needed is to install some buried conduit and put a light in. So I'm going to post a photo of the light fixture/mount. I'm completely clueless about this stuff so I'm hoping somebody can recommend some lighting options that will work with what I have. I was looking at the light from Amoray but it's pricey and now that I know that I can install just about any light I want to shop around. I have a 20,000 gallon steel wall pool. I really just want to be able to swim at night and see where I'm going when I swim and be able to turn it off when the pool isn't in use. I don't need anything super fancy but if it's included for a great price I'm happy to have extra features.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce M.

Attachments

• light fixture.jpg
    light fixture.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 56
Looks like a return fitting with some funky plate on it cut thru wall foam so I'd say this is a nicheless light that was abandoned. If so you just need a nicheless led to install in place amd conduit to get to power source. You can get cheepos for under 200 and go up to 500 or more. Depends on what you want to spend. If it's your only light source get the highest watts you can

Last edited:
Looks like a return fitting with some funky plate on it cut thru wall foam so I'd say this is a nicheless light that was abandoned. If so you just need a nicheless led to install in place amd conduit to get to power source. You can get cheepos for under 200 and go up to 500 or more. Depends on what you want to spend. If it's your only light source get the highest watts you can
Any recommendations? Should I measure the hole to make sure it's a certain size?

Thanks for the Reply Jimmy!

A nicheless light fits in a standard 1.5” PVC line.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
There are so many out now with knockoffs even. Depends on what you want to spend. Remember amazon reviews are usually new installs amd everybody loves lights. What happens in year 3 or 4 is what matters
Exactly, I just want something reasonably bright that will last a few seasons. I've been trying to find a list of the best nicheless lights but haven't had any luck. Any pointers or recomendations? I'd like to stay under $750 if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How many do you need and does brand matter? I'm asking because if you have automation the control is proprietary
I need one that can light the whole pool. It's only a 20000 gallons Grecian style pool. The liner guy said it's steel wall but it looks and feels like polymer of some kind. I believe it's 32 x 16 or in that ball park. I read somewhere that I'd need a 30 watt LED. I took a closer photo of the opening. There is a plastic plate with a very small hole in it. I don't think it's wall return fitting it might be something else. Might be part of the light that used to be there. I'm wondering if they used a DC battery operated light because there is no wiring in place but there was a big circular patch on the liner where a light would have been so I assume there was a light at one time. I noticed that the plate has 4 spots for screws (I couldn't get close enough to see if the screws were in place or not.) I held my finger up for size reference. My fingernail is roughly 1/2" so it looks like this may just be a 1 1/2" fitting with some kind of fixture screwed into it. I'd really like to be able to do this myself if possible but I'm pretty clueless at this point. I'm tempted to see if I can unscrew that plate to remove it and see if there is a threaded fitting for a niche-less light.

Thanks again for the help Jimmy

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 12
  • close up2.jpg
    close up2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 12
  • finger.jpg
    finger.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 13
How many do you need and does brand matter? I'm asking because if you have automation the control is proprietary
I did a poor job of answering your questions. Brand is unimportant. I currently have no light and I believe I would only need one. I'm under the impression that one light should be enough because it's not a very big pool. Also I only have one opening for a light unless I can run more than one light through the single opening. My main goal is getting a light that can sufficiently light the pool so I can swim at night. If I can adjust the brightness that would be nice. Color changing isn't very important to me but I'm sure it could be handy in the future. If it's easy to install that would be great.

Last edited:
The walls are steel I can see the rust. That is wall foam over them. That is an unfamiliar fitting to me. Remove it and see what type of fitting is behind the plate. Its not a simple install theres more to it. The conduit behind the fitting needs care when installed it needs to be watertight and that will go all the way back to the equipment pad. Pool can leak if not done right. What's on the other side of the wall

The walls are steel I can see the rust. That is wall foam over them. That is an unfamiliar fitting to me. Remove it and see what type of fitting is behind the plate. Its not a simple install theres more to it. The conduit behind the fitting needs care when installed it needs to be watertight and that will go all the way back to the equipment pad. Pool can leak if not done right. What's on the other side of the wall
Okay, I'm not sure if I'm describing this correctly but it appears to be a 1" or 3/4" tube that goes all the way past the wall and then angles up to a 1" or 3/4" pipe behind the patio at the deep end of the pool. The wall fitting, in the photo I attached previously, is missing the face plate that screws on top of it and seals against the liner. the fitting doesn't come out it's actually the same size all the way through. So lights that fit into a 1.5" fitting won't work in my pool. The screw holes are closer together than the holes on a standard 1.5" face plate. I get the feeling that the cord comes out of this and the light mounts directly on the face plate that fits it. The opening is the same size as the conduit that attaches to it. They are coming to install the new liner today. I guess since the hole is there I'll just take really good measurements of this opening and try to find a plate and light that mounts on that really small opening. It's weird because the liner installer knew exactly what manufacturer made my pool just by looking at it. I guess I'll have to get them to install a light but I get the feeling I'm going to pay through the nose for it.

Last edited:
Hi Jimmy,

I figured out that the fixture/fitting in the picture is for a Pentair Aqualumin light. I don't have the spacer/backplate and mounting plate for it but I've found sources online. My new question is what would be the best replacement that fits on that Pentair fixture/fitting? I need something that will light up my pool and is LED. I mainly need a good white light but if it has color options that's fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.