pool light options

Apr 13, 2016
France
have had a few pools over the years and have never had TF lights, fix 'em and they work for a bit.
So I'm a bit anti lights (from trouble pov), but like the night time scene when working.
Presently on a new build (inground concrete)and one side of the pool is above ground (land is terrassed), ie with access to outside of pool wall.
Any thoughts on some kind of fixed water tight porthole, with light fitting behind, and access from dry outside wall.
Idea is that electricity and water do not meet.
Any such stuff available commercially, or will be a home design type thing.
Any thoughts much appreciated

Another option. Go with the old fashioned light bulb style light that are obnoxiously bright and last forever. They make lens covers now in six colors and they take 10 seconds to swap out.

Link

This is what the blue one did for me. (Before/after)

Screenshot_20240210_080850_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240210_080610_Gallery.jpg

View attachment 553516

Last edited:
Reactions: Lanzz
I like your thinking, but I don't believe anything exists, mainly because the light fixture would still need to be watertight. Even outside the pool, under the ground were water could collect it would be considered a wet location per NEC. Another challenge is heat management. Even with LEDs the drivers need to dissipate heat, and in a confined spaces it's a challenge. Knowing the potential issues with existing products, it's pretty easy to eliminate most issues other than poor quality of the product itself. Any issue with niches and the conduit connected to them is easy to mitigate with proper installation. Backfilling with material that does not settle and making sure the backfill material is the proper type and compacted and well draining eliminates most issues.

I did take extra precautions when I redid my pool light. I took a new SS niche and had the conduit connection removed and replaced with a stainless steel coupling what is welded on. The original conduit nut is brazed on. Overtime and if chemical levels get off to much the brazing can be eaten away. An added benefit to the coupling is that it's threaded on both ends. On the pool side, in the niche, I also installed a watertight cord grip to stop a leak even if the conduit fails. I also use the incandescent light fixtures and put an LED bulb in them. Replacing a gasket and bulb are pretty inexpensive compared to sealed LED lights.

1707751558697.png1707751523684.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.