St. Petersburg, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-55
Have an OLD (prob 30 yrs) Pentair pool light that quit working. First thought it might be the transformer so replaced controls with new Intermatic box. Still no go :( FYI, have 2 LED pool lights; one is working fine. When I check voltage at the fixture's socket I do get 12V, but when I screw in a bulb - NOTHING. Have tested bulbs and they are fine. NO CLUE :( Thanks for the help.

Add-on. Suspecting the fixture due to its age but no clue if these go bad. Will have to splice it since wires are "stuck." Can I use a 120V fixture with a 12V transformer and a 12V LED?

Have an OLD (prob 30 yrs) Pentair pool light that quit working. First thought it might be the transformer so replaced controls with new Intermatic box. Still no go :( FYI, have 2 LED pool lights; one is working fine. When I check voltage at the fixture's socket I do get 12V, but when I screw in a bulb - NOTHING. Have tested bulbs and they are fine. NO CLUE :( Thanks for the help.

Add-on. Suspecting the fixture due to its age but no clue if these go bad. Will have to splice it since wires are "stuck." Can I use a 120V fixture with a 12V transformer and a 12V LED?
How are you confirming the bulbs are good?

• Haha
Reactions: EmilePool
Will have to splice it since wires are "stuck."

Splicing pool light wires is never recommended but if you must...

• Love
If they’re LED, is there a way to plug them in backwards? LED’s are diodes and only work in one direction. I’m confused about how you could have 12v at the socket and the lights not working.

If it is an Edison socket corrosion will keep the bulb base from making good contact with the socket pin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

OK; many replies about corroded socket. Socket is clean and NOT deformed. So; anyone knows if these fixtures go "bad" with old age?

So; anyone knows if these fixtures go "bad" with old age?

Tell me how an Edison light socket will go "bad" other then corrosion or being deformed?

With electricity either things make good electrical contact for the electrons to flow or they don't.

Something in the socket is not making contact with the bulb if you have voltage at the socket contacts. There are two clear points of electrical contact in an Edison socket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry
Tell me how a n Edison light socket will go "bad" other then corrosion or being deformed?

With electricity either things make good electrical contact for the electrons to flow or they don't.

Something in the socket is not making contact with the bulb if you have voltage at the socket contacts. There are two clear points of electrical contact in an Edison socket.
Not concerned with the light socket. Since I do have 12V, will try with "wires" from socket to a bulb - maybe center connector is "down" and not touching the bulb.

Actually, was concerned about the rest of the fixture, i.e. sealed wires within.

Not concerned with the light socket. Since I do have 12V, will try with "wires" from socket to a bulb - maybe center connector is "down" and not touching the bulb.

Actually, was concerned about the rest of the fixture, i.e. sealed wires within.
If the wires within are providing voltage then it seems they are fine. Something isn’t making contact between the socket and the bulb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.