Pool Light LED conversion

DJG301

Jul 18, 2016
Maryland
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my pool light to an LED.
The existing gasket appeared worn out, so I was afraid it may not have sealed properly or possibly cracked, if I removed it.
It’s currently a 12v halogen bulb, and I imagine I can get away with just replacing just the bulb.

Am I correct to assume this? If so, which gasket and bulb would be recommended?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 76F74B1D-CBD9-42F6-A017-272D3179E568.jpeg
    76F74B1D-CBD9-42F6-A017-272D3179E568.jpeg
    488.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 56B309A6-5B61-4689-8337-59C763F2CF38.jpeg
    56B309A6-5B61-4689-8337-59C763F2CF38.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 21
Looking to upgrade my pool light to an LED.
The existing gasket appeared worn out, so I was afraid it may not have sealed properly or possibly cracked, if I removed it.
It’s currently a 12v halogen bulb, and I imagine I can get away with just replacing just the bulb.

Am I correct to assume this? If so, which gasket and bulb would be recommended?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 7A4CA81E-CF95-422E-BFB6-485C5690430C.jpeg
    7A4CA81E-CF95-422E-BFB6-485C5690430C.jpeg
    488.3 KB · Views: 8
  • BBABF0F4-AF63-41E2-8D37-0BDF09E91D55.jpeg
    BBABF0F4-AF63-41E2-8D37-0BDF09E91D55.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 7
We are not ignoring you. I think no one here has any experience replacing a 12V halogen bulb with an LED. You can see what you can find on the net or you may have to replace the entire light fixture and cord.

I’m not sure if there are any safety issues with this, but when I was looking to replace our light (entire fixture) I found on YouTube where someone had purchased an LED color changing remote controlled light bulb and hasn’t had any issues besides having to have remote very close to water/fixture in order to change the color, etc. I don’t recall the voltage.
Check out INYO YouTube page - info was in one of their videos about lights.

Thanks. As far as the gasket, are they typically universal sizing?

No. And it’s not something you want to skimp on! If water gets inside the light (past said gasket) that’s where you’re praying your gfi outlet the light is attached to is functioning properly and it trips so that nobody jumps into (or touches) the water and gets electrocuted.
You may be able to figure out which gasket you need by looking on INYO website. But if not sure, give them a call and they’ll tell you exactly what you need.

BTW, it’s advised that any time you open the light fixture (access the bulb) you get a new gasket - whether you think it needs it or not. I tend to be a “let’s try it and see what happens” type person. But even I don’t mess around with this.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In looking at the photo of your light, I’m wondering if there’s not a part missing. Mine is similar, but Pentair/American brand. It has a clamp that goes around the light and the gasket goes in it. Theres a screw that keeps it all tightly bound and waterproof. Yours doesn’t seem to have that and your gasket seems to be more like a putty or caulk that is keeping the lense on the fixture.

I’m not saying this wrong, but I’d sure want to make sure it’s right.

No. And it’s not something you want to skimp on! If water gets inside the light (past said gasket) that’s where you’re praying your gfi outlet the light is attached to is functioning properly and it trips so that nobody jumps into (or touches) the water and gets electrocuted.
You may be able to figure out which gasket you need by looking on INYO website. But if not sure, give them a call and they’ll tell you exactly what you need.

BTW, it’s advised that any time you open the light fixture (access the bulb) you get a new gasket - whether you think it needs it or not. I tend to be a “let’s try it and see what happens” type person. But even I don’t mess around with this.

I agree with you. Due to the gasket being in the shape it was, I decided to stop where I was in fear of potential issues with re-installing the gasket. That being said, my assumption is still that there is a bulb inside and not a complete fixture.
I'll contact INYO. Hoping they can help with purchasing a new gasket or bulb, given that i have no other information to go on.

In looking at the photo of your light, I’m wondering if there’s not a part missing. Mine is similar, but Pentair/American brand. It has a clamp that goes around the light and the gasket goes in it. Theres a screw that keeps it all tightly bound and waterproof. Yours doesn’t seem to have that and your gasket seems to be more like a putty or caulk that is keeping the lense on the fixture.

I’m not saying this wrong, but I’d sure want to make sure it’s right.
I couldn't tell you. From the amount of gunk that came out of the hole, I'm almost certain that thing has never been removed. It appears to be a typical gasket, just beat up, which may perceive it as it having putty or caulk around it.

Emailed twice. No response...

Historically INYO receives praises from TFP. I had my first experience with them about 3 months ago and they were spot-on. I needed some follow up info after receiving my order and on two different instances they were less-than-helpful.

In asking around I’ve found out they’re extremely short handed right now (to the point of not being able to answer phones!) They’re focusing on live chat, but I didn’t see any mention of email.

If you can try live chat (during working hours and short hours on Sat if I recall correctly) and can’t get what you need, follow up here and let me know. One of/The owner is a member on the forum and will (I believe) see to it you get what you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.