qld34

Jan 24, 2022
Queensland, Australia
Hi all,

Moved into a house in 2020 with a nice pool at the front. The light installed has recently been flickering and I thought that I would change it, I have done this in the past with other pools and it is normally quite easy and painless.

This time however I saw that it wasn't a normal housing and that there appeared to be a much smaller hole. I removed 6 x screws which then resulted in air being released from the light housing. I removed the attached white piece which then gave access to the light diffuser / cover and globe. There was no wiring tail on the globe as per normal allowing it to be removed from the water for maintenance.

In the attached photos you will see the white piece, bottom left, that goes over the diffuser / cover with the globe sitting behind that. There is an o-ring between the housing of the light (built into wall) and the diffuser / cover keeping water out. It looks like an MR-16 type socket and globe? The transformer on the other side is a 12Vac, 4.2A 50VA output.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Does anyone know where I can get a replacement globe from? Does this even look safe?

My plan for replacement would be to drain water from the pool to leave the area dry. Then install new globe with o-ring to keep water tight. The pool is about 4-5 years old and I believe this would be the first globe replacement, based on knowledge of previous owners...

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    520.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 18
Hi. Are you sure you have dismantled it correctly? I can't help you other than to say that fitting seems wrong/unsafe/cheap/non compliant to Aus standards! you may have taken more screws out than required which has caused the entire globe assembly to come apart. Check the niche to see if the back of the globe assembly is still in there.

Thanks for the reply Charles, I went for a dip this morning and looked at the fitting with a snorkel. Tried turning, pushing, pulling and anything else to try and remove the fitting with no luck.

There is no other way to remove any part of the light and I can only assume the manufacturer intended on the pool being drained partially for service. When I removed the light yesterday, a big bubble of air came up and the inside of the fitting appeared water tight, from the outside, before I did that.

The 2 wires appear to be siliconed in place at the back of the wall, can only assume it goes back to the transformer from there... I'll keep trying, but no luck so far. Even contacted the manufacturer of the pool, who have since been bought out so the new company has no records!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.