LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2011
Long Grove, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been reading lots of information over the past few days regarding pool lights and how to control them. I have a good handle on the theory but want to confirm my thoughts before choosing my pool automation and light solution.

I understand that as a stand alone item, the color is changed by cycling power to the light a certain number of times within a set amount of time but that the color can also be changed using an automation system.

Does the automation system directly communicate with the light to change colors (I do not think so) or does it cycle power to the light in the same way manually switching the lights on and off makes the color change?

If the latter, than any automation system with light control should be able to operate any brand of light that changes color in this way however I have read that certain brands of automation are only compatible with certain brands of lights? So my next question is this. Does compatibility in this sense mean operability or that the color schemas of the automation and fixture do not align with each other.

My question is both for understanding and to confirm the ability of the Pentair IntelliConnect panel to control J&J Color splash bulbs (LPL-P3-RGBW-12 #26911).

I have read everything I can find related to the IntelliConnect panel and Home App and see references to its ability to control lights but cannot find detailed information related to installation (other than connecting the lights to one of the relays) or controlling them from the Home App.

Any insights and corrections to my understanding is much appreciated

I understand that as a stand alone item, the color is changed by cycling power to the light a certain number of times within a set amount of time but that the color can also be changed using an automation system.

That is the basic color light control technique.

Does the automation system directly communicate with the light to change colors (I do not think so)

Most don't but Hayward has digital light controls that communicate with some light models.

or does it cycle power to the light in the same way manually switching the lights on and off makes the color change?

Most do.

If the latter, than any automation system with light control should be able to operate any brand of light that changes color in this way however I have read that certain brands of automation are only compatible with certain brands of lights? So my next question is this. Does compatibility in this sense mean operability or that the color schemas of the automation and fixture do not align with each other.

It is all about the color schemes aligning for a specific number of on/off cycles.

My question is both for understanding and to confirm the ability of the Pentair IntelliConnect panel to control J&J Color splash bulbs (LPL-P3-RGBW-12 #26911).

I have read everything I can find related to the IntelliConnect panel and Home App and see references to its ability to control lights but cannot find detailed information related to installation (other than connecting the lights to one of the relays) or controlling them from the Home App.

Below leads me to believe you tell the IntelliConnect you have an Intellibrite 5G and the color scheme should reasonably align.

1711941379482.png

Reactions: griffths
I don't have a color light, but here is what the options are for adding a light to one of the Intelliconnect relays:

IMG_0545.jpeg

All Pentair color lights fall under that one category, so it seems likely your light would work.

Reactions: griffths