bridgewater
Pool Size
New pool owner here
I drained my vynl liner pool 70%, the shallow end was entirely drained
I refilled and started to see leak 2 inches a day
I tried to find the leak using leak tester syringe but no luck yet

The pictures are below
I see water under the vynl in the first picture
Any tips where to focus my search on ?IMG-0833.jpgpool liner.jpgIMG-0833.jpgpool liner 2.jpgpool liner.jpgIMG-0833.jpgIMG-0838.jpgIMG-0834.jpg

My concerns would be:
1 - Seams around the steps
2 - Behind the light in the niche (conduit)
3 - Hydrostatic valve in the drain. When you emptied most of the pool, it's possible underground water tried to push UP and something got jammed in that valve preventing a good seal when you tried to fill it back up.

Thanks
1) I tried with food color around the seams but no luck, does dye work better?
2) I did the food color test inside the lamp , it was negative . Have no idea how to check conduit, is that something easy?
3) Well the deep side was not drained, where both drains are , does this make you concerned about #3 still?
The fact that there seems water under the vinyl on shallow side, should I focus on shallow side?

does this make you concerned about #3 still?
The fact that there seems water under the vinyl on shallow side, should I focus on shallow side?
Once the water gets in there it could take a while to dissipate, so hard to know if that's where the leak originated. #3 was actually my guy feeling since this only happened after you drained most of the water. The weight or a full pool of water really plays a big role in stabilizing the pool. I would check the hydrostatic valve though to be sure. They go bad or once in a while get debris wedged in the seal when they actuate to relieve pressure from below. If you inspect, clean, and rule out the valve, then it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks
1) I tried with food color around the seams but no luck, does dye work better?
2) I did the food color test inside the lamp , it was negative . Have no idea how to check conduit, is that something easy?
3) Well the deep side was not drained, where both drains are , does this make you concerned about #3 still?
See where the water level stops dropping and your leak is probably right at the level.

See where the water level stops dropping and your leak is probably right at the level.
Well it drops below the top line of the lamp, if I let it drop more the shallow end will be only 5 inches deep so I am afraid to let it drop more, what do you think, can I let it drop till 2inches of tall of the shallow side?

can I let it drop till 2inches of tall of the shallow side?
Anytime you go below the lowest step it get questionable, so be careful. But if you checked well with food coloring/dye, and this only happened after draining your pool, it's odd. But double check the light area. If that doesn't work, check that hydrostatic valve.

full

I have two drains, both of them are leaking in the hole on the side , there is no hydrostatic valve instead there is a square cap valve(at the bottom)
What are most options until I get it fixed?
If I put a plug to the drains I assume i can't run the filter.
My skimmers also have low suctions (that has always been like this since I own the pool)

Last edited:
If I put a plug to the drains I assume i can't run the filter.
Should not be the case. Depending on your plumbing. either the drain lines merge and are connected by one line to the equipment pad before the pump, or they go into the bottom of the skimmer(s). Either way the skimmers should still pull water if you plug the drains.

By "leaking at the hole on the side" you are referring to the hole/connection in the drain that goes back to the skimmer correct?

Not sure about the "square cap valve(at the bottom" unless that's just a different type of hydrostatic valve fitting.

If the drain line (or both lines) are indeed leaking, it could be where they connect to each other under the plaster. In that case, you might find yourself plugging each drain at the bottom, then plugging that line back at the pad or the skimmer hole if that's where they go. A leak in the drain line could explain why you were receiving less suction.

To be sure my description sounds on-point and that I haven't' been sniffing too much glue, let's ask @Poolbreh for another opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should not be the case. Depending on your plumbing. either the drain lines merge and are connected by one line to the equipment pad before the pump, or they go into the bottom of the skimmer(s). Either way the skimmers should still pull water if you plug the drains.

By "leaking at the hole on the side" you are referring to the hole/connection in the drain that goes back to the skimmer correct?

Not sure about the "square cap valve(at the bottom" unless that's just a different type of hydrostatic valve fitting.

If the drain line (or both lines) are indeed leaking, it could be where they connect to each other under the plaster. In that case, you might find yourself plugging each drain at the bottom, then plugging that line back at the pad or the skimmer hole if that's where they go. A leak in the drain line could explain why you were receiving less suction.

To be sure my description sounds on-point and that I haven't' been sniffing too much glue, let's ask @Poolbreh for another opinion.
38F8FB56-646A-4385-95A7-D293E308054B.jpeg38F8FB56-646A-4385-95A7-D293E308054B.jpeg9E90D9F1-D715-4AC1-B8CD-A74640ACA4E4.jpeg6E9B8F52-7C99-49FA-B34B-76472057A6D0.jpeg
I am attsching the picture of the drains
. Hope that make sense there is a suction line inside the drain thats leaking the cap at the bottom is not . Do you think that its a hydrostatic valve?
So you are saying as a temporary solution until I find a pool repair guy i can close off the suction lines inside the drains and run the filter because skimmer suction should be enoughh?

So the square cap valve at the bottom is a HS valve?
I'm not sure. There are various HS valves out there, so I wouldn't be surprised if some have different top caps. Or that might just be a plug already and that's just the top (square end) of it.

I agree with @Texas Splash your main drains have a T and are connected. The square plugs are generic and come with the drain assembly. So you don’t have a HS. That T is most likely broken somewhere and would explain the water under your liner. I would do what Pat described and plug your drains and run off the skimmer. Plenty of pools run on skimmer only. 1656969452254.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Splash
if it’s connected to the skimmer you will have 2 ports under basket that is controlled by An equalizer float valve(usually closest to the pool is MD)and you would also want to plug that. If not isolate the the MD by shutting valve off at equipment.

Well the skimmer have two holes and one is already plugged and I turned off the valves of the drains
So it sounds as though you isolated water to the drains from above at ground level, but you still have the suction line port in the drain itself right? So water can still leak somewhere past those openings, probably where the drains intersect under the pool. You'll want to plug those ports in the drains. Do you have some spare winterizing plugs to try it out and see if the water loss stops?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.