Pool just newly resurfaced

May 2, 2013
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just had my 16000 gallon pool resurfaced. The company gave me the target numbers that follow: FC 1-2, Ph 7.0-7.4, TA 80-120, CH between 300-400, CYA 70 in the Summer. For the first 30 days clean the filter every other day and brush the pool completely on the other days....I have a Great White running in the pool to clean the pool....what bothers me is the very low FC vs. the CYA of 70 recommendation....I have your chart that says that with a CYA of 70 the TFP target for FC is 8. Guidance from those with much experience is appreciated. I have followed TFP and used their target numbers for many years as well as ordering mypool chemicals from the sister site.....many thanks lawjohn

Follow the startup guide most appropriate for your finish...

Wheeled cleaners should not be used for 30 days.

Follow startup guide chemistry for first 28 days then transition to TFP guidelines.

Another question. I know that the TA and Ph interact, however with a Ph of 7.2 pmm. I would like the move my TA from 80 up to 100 ppm and keep the Ph at 7.2. I know the added TA will increase the Ph reading so I'm wondering how the best way is to experiment to reach my desired numbers rather than just jockeying the two back and forth hoping I reach the stated goal....suggestions from the experienced members is greatly appreciated...thank you, lawjohn

Hi Allen, thanks for the reply. The pool was resurfaced last week and I'm trying to keep the TA at or above 80 ppm per the contractors specifications. In addition the Ph must be kept at 7.0 to 7.2 during the first 30 days

Hi Allen, thanks for the reply. The pool was resurfaced last week and I'm trying to keep the TA at or above 80 ppm per the contractors specifications. In addition the Ph must be kept at 7.0 to 7.2 during the first 30 days

That is an impossible combination to achieve. Your pH will not stay between 7.0-7.2 for more then a day with a TA of 80.

What type of surface was installed?

National Plasters Council start-up guide says pH should be reduced to 7.2 to 7.6 adding pre-diluted2 Muriatic Acid if the alkalinity is already 80-100 ppm.

I would try and keep the water at pH of 7.6 and TA of 80 to stay within their specs.

Your contractor is rolling his own. pH and TA never stay at a single number in a plaster pool. All you an do is keep it within ranges.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Forgot to mention that I measure and adjust every day per the first 30 days instructions, then I'll most likely measure every other day or so. Any suggestions moving out of the 30 day requirement is also appreciated, john

After your start-up period you can transition to TFP pool care guidelines...

What test kit do you have?

I have a Taylor K-2006 kit and I also have the OTO for daily check if I want to use it also.....the requirements for the first 30 days are new to me...the warranty sheet after the 1st 30 days, FC 1-3...4 may cause corrosion, Ph 7.2 - 7.6, AkaLimits 80-120, CH 200-400, CYA 50-80

You have to decide if the warranty has any real value. That water chemistry is impossible to maintain which gives the contractor an easy out.

Thanks, I've always used the TFP instructions up until I had this resurface job and I order all my regents, etc from TF Test kits since 2013 when I found this site...... basically between my two kits I have the TF-100 kit.....in addition the FC targets with the CYA I've always followed......BTW just curious how often do you brush your pool and clean your filter now that your pool is out of the curing phase?

I brush my pool once a week but the foam tail on my Polaris 380 cleaner brushes it daily.

I clean my filter when the pressure rises by over 25% from clean pressure.

Allen many thanks....you've given me some good things to mull over.....and I appreciate it. The hurricane will pass off shore for me but it's forecast to head your way losing strength before it visits your area according to the weather folks.....all the best, John

Thanks. We can use the rain. My pool water is in the low side but I am not adding water hoping for a few free inches of free water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.