Pool Jets

Jharris032

Feb 4, 2024
West Palm Beach
I just purchased a house that has a pool which is around 20 years old. The pool jets do not have a directional jet in it and I’m getting dead spots in the flow. I’ve never seen these type of jets before and before I start hacking away I need some advice as to how they are installed and subsequently removed. Does anyone have experience with these and can tell me how to remove them? One jet was completely gone and it appears that it’s either bare pipe or a broken off jet remains in one over the pool stairs. Thanks!!
IMG_3482.jpegIMG_3482.jpegIMG_3481.jpegIMG_3480.jpegIMG_3479.jpegIMG_3476.jpegIMG_3475.jpegIMG_3474.jpeg

Waterway makes many types of return fittings. It may be one of them.

No telling if it is screwed in, press fit, or glued. There are many ways a builder can put them in.

Waterway makes many types of return fittings. It may be one of them.

No telling if it is screwed in, press fit, or glued. There are many ways a builder can put them in.

What about the one where there is bare pipe, or at least appears to be bare pipe?

Last edited:
Reactions: Spgull
So what should I do if I want to change them? Just drain the pool so I can really get a good look at them to determine how to proceed?
What do you think you will accomplish by changing them?

Draining a pool always has risks and is rarely recommended.

There's no reason to drain the pool for this. They are pressed in and the center has a small eyeball which is adjustable. It can be removed with a small pry bar such as in the link. When using the pry bar (bent side) keep moving around the edge to pull it out evenly otherwise it'll get stuck. I also use a thin plastic sheet cutting board used in the kitchen against the pool plaster to protect it from the tool as I work it. The new ones are sometimes tuff and I use a rubber mallet to pound them in.
Pry bar
Amazon.com

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidArmenB
What do you think you will accomplish by changing them?

Draining a pool always has risks and is rarely recommended.
I cannot adjust the flow and direct it towards the surface of the water creating dead spots where debris sits on top of the water. I have a 3hp variable pump and even when turned all the way up to 3450 rpm’s this is still the case. Also, the the next post regarding the pry bar and the eye in the center, these have nothing in them like they have already been removed. You can see it in the pics and even the one that looks like it is intact doesn’t have an adjustment for the eye it’s fixed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I cannot adjust the flow and direct it towards the surface of the water creating dead spots where debris sits on top of the water.

I think you will find the eyeballs have little effect on the surface flow. I would not do extensive surgery to the pool trying to accomplish this.

Churning the surface of the water with the returns will cause aeration and cause your pH to rise more rapidly.

Let us know how much the new ones help with your dead spots.

I think that powerful pump makes the difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.