Pool is fraying

May 6, 2015
Bardstown
Intex 12 x 24 x 52. Top of pool liner is fraying in the direction that the poles inside the liner run. I am sure that did not make any sense. And the fraying is happening right on top. I can't imagine this is a good thing. Is there anything I can do? It is storming right now but I will try to get a picture when I can.

Thanks!

Ok, so, this happens to older liners - with sun and use, the vinyl starts to fray. I don’t know of anything that will stop the deterioration AND strengthen the liner so you don’t get into an unsafe situation. PK, how old is your pool? Lyon, sounds like you got yours used and last owner attempted to stop the fraying - so you were already dealing with a problem.

When these pools fail, that is a lot of water that suddenly gets turned loose. I would err on the side of caution and replace the liners.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The issue is the design of the Intex styled pool and the upper portion of the liner where the tubes slide through and their exposure to UV rays. There are a few notes of attempts to protect from this sort of exposure. I am not sure about some of the protectants and how they would interact with the chemicals in the pool. Some have even suggest Flex Seal Paint? I think I liked the idea of the pool noodle approach. Maybe there is an outdoor pipe insulation that is UV resisteant?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.