Pool installed without Cove by installers

Jun 4, 2017
Eastern Oklahoma
I may already know the answer to this question but I really like to know others opinions.

We recently had new walls & a liner replaced that were covered under doughboy’s warranty. The installers from a reputable pool store came to do the install. When the got to the liner, they said our foam pool cove was trashed & they couldn’t reuse. They said they didn’t have any in stock & that pool coves were a relatively new thing, that they used to install without them years ago. They ended up not using one & installed the liner. I am pretty sure they didn’t build one from sand either, just install on the flat sand base. Fast forward three days later, and we have had heavy rain the last few days. Near the skimmer I noticed the sand was already washed out so I stuck my hand under the rail and could feel the liner up against the wall at the bottom. See photos were you can see the liner while looking from the ground. This is a problem, correct? I should have them come back and fix?

Also wanted to to add, it’s been months of getting them out here in the first place, one thing after the next.

Opinions??

And THAT is why a cove is NEEDED!!! A foam one at that. They need to come back and install one. Now the hard part is they can't drop the whole liner to put in the cove as it is next to impossible to get it back where it needs to be by the skimmer and return. I would be calling Doughboy asap and show them the pics. That is a liner with a very short life span due to lazy installers.

Now lets talk about what happened with the rain event. I am going to ask some questions so we can dial in this not happening again.
You say it is be the skimmer.
-Was the skimmer overflowing?
-Was there a "stream" of water flowing around the pool?
-Did the hose come off the skimmer?

See I had almost the same thing happen when the flex hose came off the bottom of the skimmer while we were out for dinner. Came home to the pool's water just under the skimmer level. It washed out the sand in that area BUT because we had a foam cove the liner did not try to poke out of the wall. We put the hose back on and spent a good bit of time with me shoving the sand back in from the outside and my husband using his feet to smooth it down and level on the inside.

After that *fun* we hard piped all the hoses AND dug down a bit under the skimmer and return area to put gravel THEN we put some pavers in that area. I gave the pavers a slight angle so any splash out would go away from the pool.

Let us know what Doughboy has to say!

Reactions: Mdragger88
And THAT is why a cove is NEEDED!!! A foam one at that. They need to come back and install one. Now the hard part is they can't drop the whole liner to put in the cove as it is next to impossible to get it back where it needs to be by the skimmer and return. I would be calling Doughboy asap and show them the pics. That is a liner with a very short life span due to lazy installers.

Now lets talk about what happened with the rain event. I am going to ask some questions so we can dial in this not happening again.
You say it is be the skimmer.
-Was the skimmer overflowing?
-Was there a "stream" of water flowing around the pool?
-Did the hose come off the skimmer?

See I had almost the same thing happen when the flex hose came off the bottom of the skimmer while we were out for dinner. Came home to the pool's water just under the skimmer level. It washed out the sand in that area BUT because we had a foam cove the liner did not try to poke out of the wall. We put the hose back on and spent a good bit of time with me shoving the sand back in from the outside and my husband using his feet to smooth it down and level on the inside.

After that *fun* we hard piped all the hoses AND dug down a bit under the skimmer and return area to put gravel THEN we put some pavers in that area. I gave the pavers a slight angle so any splash out would go away from the pool.

Let us know what Doughboy has to say!
Thanks for your reply. The skimmer was not overflowing. We had a very little leak around the skimmer so we stopped filling it up for them to come fix. So there wasn’t even enough water to turn on the pump yet. There could have been a stream flowing, I am not sure because I wasn’t home during the hardest rain. We got 4 inches dumped on us within a few hours. The hose did not come off the skimmer.
We used to have a foam cove & that area did used to get a lot a water but like you, it wasn’t a concern because of the cove.

Time to call them back asap ☎️
That looks pinchy 😳-
The cove prevents this exact problem.
For now, do your best to pack dirt around the area to prevent more washout. If it starts looking buldgy (u can check from the inside) then its drain time.

It’s says so right here in step 12👇
I am going to call them this morning. They have been out to my house everyday since last Friday to fix one thing or another. This is starting to get exhausting.

I dealt with the same thing with my pool install (not the cove thing - but it was like pulling teeth to get them out to fix things so I didn’t make a fuss & have them re seat my overlap liner - now I have to live with the 1 million wrinkles…. They literally left it hanging super loose & told me it was fine & would tighten up. I now still have some billowing spots & the rest of the wall has thousands of wrinkles/bubbles. At the time, since mine was so buried on one side & rain was in the forecast I was in a hurry to backfill to prevent a mote.
The pool is perfectly level & they were quick when installing but the liner looks terrible. Sadly not much to be done now for the ones on the floor.
I wish I would have pulled some of my top rails & fixed it some before i topped off after the winter at opening. I think I may be able to use a squeegee to push the wrinkles towards the top. When my pump went out under warranty I just went & picked it up & installed it myself rather than deal with them touching my pool again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The game plan needs to be drain, add cove, put in new liner possibly if the current ome doesn’t line back up. Your warranty is with doughboy- that dealer could go under or get dropped by doughboy & you could have to prove to doughboy your pool was installed properly. Get it remedied while u can.

Reactions: Dirk
The game plan needs to be drain, add cove, put in new liner possibly if the current ome doesn’t line back up. Your warranty is with doughboy- that dealer could go under or get dropped by doughboy & you could have to prove to doughboy your pool was installed properly. Get it remedied while u can.
I really hope that is what they come up with. This is a brand new liner & we shouldn’t have to suffer because of their failures.

As for the dealer, they have been in our community since the 70s so hopefully they wont go under any time soon. I know that you never know but hoping for the best.

Thanks so much for all of the input!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.