Pool heating cost

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
We have short term rental with a pool and have guests asking about having it heated during the fall/winter time. I'm in Northern CA and average temp between Oct-December is mids to low 60's.

Our gas rate is about $2/therm. My heater is a raypak 266k BTU heater pool is 16x32 deep end is about 8 feet. The pool is uncovered and outdoors, when the temperature outside is mid 60's, what's a good temperature to heat the pool to? In the summer, I keep the pool at 87-88 degrees when we lived there.

Your heater will cost $5.20/hour to run and raise your pool temperature 1 to 1.4 degrees/hour.

So raising the pool by 20 degrees will cost about $100 and then gas cost to maintain that temperature.

Gas heater is most cost effective for heat on demand. Turn it on before you want to swim and turn it off when done.

If you leave the gas heater on overnight with cool nights you will waste gas, money, and water through evaporation maintain the temperature.

+1. If you spent $150 having a family party when it would have been too cool to swim, it'd be worth every penny. I wouldn't leave it up to / under the control of short term tenants unless they paid first. Lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.