Pool heater woes

May 16, 2013
Hi everyone! I have a raypak 206A that has been operating pretty constant since we purchased this house about 4 years ago. We're not sure of the age of the heater or the pool (house was foreclosed), but we're experiencing an issue where the heater goes off within a couple minutes of firing up.

We can verify the pilot comes on, the burned ignite, and then between 30 seconds and 3 minutes, the entire burner turns off. It tries to reignite and doesn't.

If I turn the unit off for 5 minutes or so, it will go through the above- mentioned process but will not stay lit.

I've taken the panels off and cleaned all the debris out. I have also attempted to verify no debrisis near the gas ports.

I'm also having one heck of a time finding a company that does work on pool heaters, which I'm why I'm coming to the forum in hopes of a possible solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may offer advice!

Same advice I gave in this thread....however take a look at page 43 to start. Check to make sure you have sufficient water flow/pressure

Just in case you don't have the user manual

However it sounds like you would pass the flowchart since the heater fires but doesn't stay running.

I would focus on the Thermopile/Power Pile and make sure that it is generating sufficient power to keep the gas valve open. They do wear out/get dirty over time.

Regards,

Is this a natural or propane gas system?

I would rule out the pressure switch as if it was not getting the correct pressure, it would never fire at all. That's a safety. I would also have to say that all of your safeties are probably OK as th unit does fire.

Doubt it's the unitherm governor as well.

Are you sure it would run for 3 minutes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.