Buckeye, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have a Pentair UltraTemp 120 H/C heat pump! We just got our pool lat last summer so haven’t played with the heater much! I turned it on today just to make sure it was working! It ran for awhile but shut off long before the temp I had it set at! I was trying to figure out what was happening because I couldn’t get it to turn back on! Then I realized the heat pump turned off right around the time the regular pool pump shut off. Question—Does the pool pump have to be on for the heat pump to work? If so, should the pool pump automatically turn on automatically when the heat pump is turned on? I’m just trying to find out if it’s wired incorrectly. When I manually turned the pool pump back on, I was able to turn the heat pump back on! Thanks!

Yes, the pump has to be running for the heat pump to kick on and start heating. If the pool temp is lower/higher than the set temp point, it will call for the heatpump to turn on heat/cooling.
Thanks! I guess my question then is, If I turn my heat pump on should the pool pump automatically turn on? Or do I just need to turn on the pool pump whenever I want to turn on the heat pump?

Thanks! I guess my question then is, If I turn my heat pump on should the pool pump automatically turn on? Or do I just need to turn on the pool pump whenever I want to turn on the heat pump?
Do you have automation? If so, you probably just need to enable the heater under the pool schedule

Reactions: frankmcs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.