Pool heater freeze protect

skibomp

Jul 27, 2023
Raleigh NC
Another it's getting cold out question. I am a new pool owner, and I have ensured that my freeze protection is on for my Hayward Omnilogic.
I have an 18k pool, a hot tub with a spillover, and a small waterfall on the other end. How do I ensure that the water circulates to all features and bodies of water when its freezing? Is the omnilogic programmed so it's a set-and-forget? or do I need to learn some valve adjustments for when I think it will drop below freezing?

I apologize if this has been answered, but I didn't find an answer with the search or the manual.

A picture of your equipment pad would help.

Also, please fill our your signature with all of your equipment:

In general, each feature can be configured for operation during freeze protection. Have you reviewed the programming? Who did it?

However, any manual valves could an issue so again, a picture of all your equipment would be helpful.

Another it's getting cold out question. I am a new pool owner, and I have ensured that my freeze protection is on for my Hayward Omnilogic.
I have an 18k pool, a hot tub with a spillover, and a small waterfall on the other end. How do I ensure that the water circulates to all features and bodies of water when its freezing? Is the omnilogic programmed so it's a set-and-forget? or do I need to learn some valve adjustments for when I think it will drop below freezing?

I apologize if this has been answered, but I didn't find an answer with the search or the manual.
As long as you don't have a heater bypass, as long as the pump turns on and is moving water it will circulate through the pump, filter, and anything in the plumbing after the filter, like the heater.

A picture of your equipment pad would help.

Also, please fill our your signature with all of your equipment:

In general, each feature can be configured for operation during freeze protection. Have you reviewed the programming? Who did it?

However, any manual valves could an issue so again, a picture of all your equipment would be helpful.
Thank you for the signature link, I tried to find it a few times. I will attach a few pictures below. The pool was installed by a local pool company about 2 years ago. I bought the house a few months ago, and everything was already programmed. Most of what I have learned has been reading here. I can take some better pictures of anything yall need tomorrow, I am currently working at the fire station ;)

PXL_20230704_140943840 (1).jpgScreenshot 2023-11-01 213043.png

It looks like there is several manual valves. All of these manual valves need to be in the fully open position where all ports are connected to each other. Basically, you want to make sure water can flow through all paths at the same time. There may be a few that have stops which prevent this but you can lift the handle above the stops in order to turn it to the proper position. The controller should take care of the actuated valves and alternate between pool and spa modes assuming it is setup properly. You might want to go through the menus and make sure it is setup properly.

Are you planning to leave the pool open all winter?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.