Pool Heater Doesn't Seem to Work All The Time

danimdecker

Mar 4, 2023
Montgomery TX
This is our first pool and we've only had it a few months. Every time we go to use the heater, we have issues. Twice I have set it at night before bed so it would be warm by morning. In the morning, the heater is off and the water is 1-2 degrees warmer than when I went to bed. I turn it back on and it heats to temperature and then shuts off and doesn't come back on. My question is: Is it warming the pool and then shutting off in the middle of the night and so the pool is cooling back off? Is it running all night and not working so my gas bill is going to be outrageous? I've never had one so I don't know how they work. But it seems to shut off by itself unless it's during the day. During the day it will heat to temp. Is it a safety thing and won't run at night? I'm so confused.

Welcome to TFP.

Is your pool pump on a timer?

Your heater will only run when the pump is running.

If your pool pump turns off at night then your heater will also turn off.

Tell us all of the equipment your pool has. Even better, post pics of your equipment pad so we can see your situation.

So we have the pumps ( think) set to run from 7 to 7. When I turn the heater on before bed, it shows that it comes on, but maybe it turns right back off. So, I need to turn the pumps on overnight if I'm going to run the heater, correct? It is a Pentair Mastertemp 400 and it is connected to the Pentair Screenlogic 2 system for me to control it. I'm thinking it's the pump schedule. Sorry y'all. The pool builder really didn't tell us much at all about any of this, so we're literally learning as we go.

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 4
So we have the pumps ( think) set to run from 7 to 7. When I turn the heater on before bed, it shows that it comes on, but maybe it turns right back off. So, I need to turn the pumps on overnight if I'm going to run the heater, correct?

Correct.

It is a Pentair Mastertemp 400 and it is connected to the Pentair Screenlogic 2 system for me to control it. I'm thinking it's the pump schedule.

Yes, you need to override the pump schedule if you want to heat the pool overnight.

If you have a VS pump you may want to run your pump 24/7 at low speed liek I do and then not need to fiddle with your pump schedule. Setup your ET to increase the pump speed when the heater is on.

Sorry y'all. The pool builder really didn't tell us much at all about any of this, so we're literally learning as we go.

That seems to be what most folks end up doing.

Post pics of your ScreenLogic schedule if you want help in tuning up your system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.