Pool heater and home warranty replacement problem

I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in gas usage ... what is the cost difference? Bigger is faster, that is about it.

Wasn't you previous heater working just fine on that riser? Not to say it is not too small ... I have no idea. As I recall, my risers are the same size as the long run and only reduce above the ground. Not sure if there recommendation is just a money grab or if you would benefit.

difference is only about $150 between the 250 and the 300. Is there any difference in the comfort level of hot water coming out of the return? I don't know if an oversized heater would cause any discomfort, especially with kids in the water.

If not, and for that price, I would go larger just for the slightly faster heating times.

Yes, the old heater seemed to work fine with the 1" riser (like yours, it is 2" and just reduces where it comes out of the ground).

I don't think the water will ever feel TOO hot coming back into the pool ... maybe if you were running very little water through the heater (although they have minimum flow rates that would prevent this).

davidgelb said:
difference is only about $150 between the 250 and the 300. Is there any difference in the comfort level of hot water coming out of the return? I don't know if an oversized heater would cause any discomfort, especially with kids in the water.

If not, and for that price, I would go larger just for the slightly faster heating times.

Yes, the old heater seemed to work fine with the 1" riser (like yours, it is 2" and just reduces where it comes out of the ground).
I doubt you'd be able to notice the difference between the two unless you watched the temperature display with a stopwatch.

Yeah...according to the calculator at http://www.discount-pool-supplies.com, it says that the cost to heat 17000 gallons a rise of 20 degrees will be $25.29 no matter which heater I use (since the amount of therms required would be the same) - it ONLY comes down to speed.

The 250k will heat 17000 gallons a 20 degree rise in 13.5 hours
The 300k will heat 17000 gallons a 20 degree rise in 11.25 hours
The 400k will heat 17000 gallons a 20 degree rise in 8.4 hours

So, that helps a little...I just have to decide which option I would prefer.

And it sounds like my riser should be fine...I guess I will have the installer use his judgement when he is doing the installation.

LAST question (I think)...the plumbing at the heater is old copper...I know the copper goes into the ground, and I don't know how far, but I assume it must end by the time it gets to the valves (also under ground, accessible through a cover in the ground) about 2 feet away. Without digging up the cement to re-lay new underground pipe, should I just have him start PVC as close to the ground as possible? Or just let the copper come up to the heater and then just switch to PVC at the heater? Or do I really need to replace all?

IMG_20130509_085815.jpg

Thanks so much for all your help!!

My impression is that a faster rise time means fewer losses as evaporation and cold take their toll during heating - you will spend less money when the intent is to warm up for a day or weekend because you lose less since the total time is shorter. When you are keeping a constant temp if the heater keeps up with demand the size won't matter as much.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.