Pool hasn’t been opened in a few years. Help!

Levity always shows up. Stumbling onto this makes my whining about water clarity seem petty. Can't wait to follow and see the results of this!

Reactions: Redbama81
We are alternating scooping out with a leaf rake and working on landscaping around the pool.
Just to be clear, by leaf rake you mean the pool net thing, and not a lawn rake, right?

(I didn't know it was called it a leaf rake until tonight, but I am pretty new to pools... )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230526-231059_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230526-231059_Chrome.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
by leaf rake you mean the pool net thing, and not a lawn rake, right?
I think someone from the desert invented it. Leaves and raking motions were a foreign concept so its been confusing people ever since.

It's a NET. Not a rake. Anyone who thinks its a rake has never raked.

Butterfly catching would be far closer of a term to use than raking. :ROFLMAO:

I think someone from the desert invented it. Leaves and raking motions were a foreign concept so its been confusing people ever since.

Yup no rakes here just leaf blowers 😂😂

Oh man this is gonna be soooo pretty when you convert that pool to TFPC! Can’t wait to see it.

Some inspiration to inspire you to stay on this DIY track: I couldn’t find my before TFPC picture of what our pool always looked like after opening each year with the pool company, but it was 10x worse than yours. Every Spring! Green and murky, couldn’t even see the stairs. However, I did find a good example of what it has looked like every year since starting TFPC. This image is from six years ago, (we started TFPC about 11-12 years ago,) and it was taken the morning after we opened the pool. We opened to crystal clear water and filled it up and this is what it looked like the very next morning. Wallah! TFPC is da bomb!

Can’t wait to see updated photos from you.

IMG_9263.jpeg

Last edited:

Normally I would have said the leaf thingy…lol.

Back at it today. Tripped in a hole one of the dogs left me.
Guess they were thinking of building their own pool…don’t they trust you to clear the one you got!
Ended up with a knee sprain and been on crutches for the last week or so. Minor setback. Lol
Hope you’re better, good luck and hopefully no more injuries…other than maybe a sunburn relaxing poolside when you’re done ;)

Hi All,

I’m needing some help getting this pool up and running. The pool hasn’t been used or covered in a few years. Just moved in and we know nothing about how any of this works. We assume with a little research to start by cleaning out all debris. We have a leaf gulper that hooks to water hose and a leaf rake so we can have both going at the same time. It’s a vinyl liner. Also, I have read on many post about pressure gauges on the pump and ours doesn’t have one. Apparently the pool has never had one. Liner was put in just a few years ago and only used one season and has been sitting for I think 3 years. After we get most of the junk out of the pool do we just start the pump and start adding store bleach to do the slam method? I have the test kit that is recommended on this site. Any help would be so appreciated. This is going to a diy project as well. We are both pretty handy and love learning new things. Just a lot of conflicting info out there. Kind of on a tight budget as well. So hiring someone isn’t in the cards. I went to pool store and they were saying thousands for chemicals to get it up and running. All the brush and overgrown stuff will be cleared out in the next two days and going to pressure wash the concrete deck around the pool.
Hi everyone!
We are making progress. We did a 3/4 drain on the pool. Got all the overgrown stuff cleared out. Have scooped and scooped to where we really aren’t pulling anything else up. I ordered a vacuum canister which arrived today so we could start vacuuming. We primed the pump this morning and turned it on and it made a humming noise for a few seconds and then nothing. I’m guessing that the motor is shot. I’m trying to find a replacement and have watched a few videos on doing a swap with a new one. Doesn’t look too difficult. Is this something that is a diy or not? Any suggestions on where to get a replacement? I was looking at the Pureline 2HP Prime Plus pump single speed 115/230 volt PL1702. Also, am looking at just replacement motor. This pump isn’t much more then the motor so thought about replacing the whole thing. Does anyone know anything about Pureline? Doing some research online and haven’t seen a ton of reviews. We currently have Hayward super pump that’s equivalent to the Pureline pump. Everything has been sitting for so long is why I’m think of just replacing the whole thing.

Attachments

• IMG_9480.jpeg
    IMG_9480.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.