Pool has been sitting for two months without chlorine...

Jul 13, 2012
My pool has been sitting without chlorine for about two months in Florida. There is a large amount of green junk which I guess is algae on the pool floor. Do I need to vacuum it to waste or I can just vacuum and keep cleaning the filter?

if you vacuum to waste, do you take the filter out?

What type of filter do you have?

What type of valves do you have on your filter?

Vacuuming alone will not get rid of the algae problem. You need to follow the SLAM Process process. Kill the algae with maintaining a high chlorine level. Run your filter on RECIRCULATE if you have it during the SLAM Process. Then once the SLAM Process is complete vacuum the dead algae to WASTE.

What test kit do you have?

Please put details of your pool in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions

What kind of filter/pool do you have (DE, Cartridge, Sand?) It would really help if we knew more about your pool. You can add your pool information on your signature profile like mine. Regardless, you'll need to SLAM your pool for sure.

If you haven't already, please get your own test kit and post your numbers here (FC, CC, CYA, pH, CH, TA). We recommend the TF-100 from here or the Taylor K-2006C.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.