Pool guy telling the truth?

Actually, at least around here, if it has to be inspected, (as in when it it first built or installed), then yea you have to hire it done unless you have the proper training and certificates/license, but once it is installed, and inspected then you can do whatever you want or need to do as long as it isn't going to require another inspection.

So in your case, even installing a new heater, I wouldn't see why you can't DIY, shoot, cut the power, turn off the gas, (hopefully there is a shut off valve close to the heater), disconnect everything, swap them out and reconnect everything, and VERY IMPORTANT: TURN THE GAS ON FIRST, and use soapy water to check for leaks, if NO LEAKS then turn gas off, turn on power, check to make sure there are no shorts, Ect, if not then turn gas back on and double check EVERYWHERE for leaks, if none then fire it up.

And to go even further... in my area, if you can demonstrate to the inspecting authority that you are knowledgable in the area, and know when to ask for help, they will let you do permitted work, with the strict understanding you are held to the same inspections standards as the pros.

Heck I built a huge addition on my home and did the majority of trades on my pool ( all of them that required inspection). Go to the library and look for tradesman training manuals, ask at the reference desk. They are where to go to learn what you dont know. And if you arent sure, get a licensed tradesman to do the work for you. Make sure you follow all the regulations for your area.

volkg35 said:
As for my old Minimax...symptom is as follows - I get a power light on, but no other lights turn on. The pool guy took the PCB out and showed me where the burn in is. Problem I have is that I already replaced the Hi pressure limit switch, so I get a feeling that one by one each little thing is going to fail and end up costing me a decent amount of cash that could likely be better used buying a new setup.

There just aren't that many electronic parts on the Minimax CH. If you are not getting the service light to come on, then I do suspect a failure in the main thermostat/controller board. This is less that $100 from the site I listed in my previous post. Unless the rest of the heater is a total mess, I would go this route. The installation of the board should be very simple as the connections to the board are via push down terminal connectors. Removing the old and installing the replacement board should take less than an hour if you are handy. In another post on here, another member fixed an older Minimax with a new thermostat board. Actually, now that I recall, I also recommended cleaning the rocker switch. When the heater is powered but the rocker switch is in the off position, you will only see the power light come on, regardless of the position of the spa and pool potentiometers. If the rocker switch is oxidized and not making contact, cleaning (or replacing... it's about $11 on the same site) that could help. You can get deOx on the web or at Radio Shack. This is useful stuff to have around anyway. So, try the doOx first. After spraying it inside the switch liberally, rock the switch back and forth through its three positions several times. If this doesn't fix the issue, replace the board.

I'll second the recommendation for de-oxit, we use it around the shop often and I have some I use at home. It's good stuff for cleaning oxidation off any electrical connection and keeping it clean.

Thanks guys, I'm going to to try and order those parts and install them myself. It appears to be plug and play, which is straightforward. Is it just me or has the only thing that's changed about the minimax is the owner of the name brand? My heater is about 12 years old and the parts in the newer manual look pretty much the same. One other thing, I could have sworn the pcb for this heater was around the $400-$500 mark when I looked last year...is that main thermostat on the website the same part? There's also the Honeywell ignition module that I don't see listed on the website, do they still make this part? If I can figure out how to post pics I'll put a pic of the parts. Thanks again!

Yes, I think Pentair bought Purex/Triton about ten years ago or so. I believe they just changed the logo on the Minimax line.

For the Minimax CH, you can find the gas valve (either natural gas or propane) here:

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-1203/ ... Detail.bok

There are likely other vendors as well. Unless you are very unfortunate, I would think that the valve is likely okay, and you just have a burned out board. Try the DeOXit first on the rocker switch, then replacement board. BTW, you can also check to see if the rocker switch is the problem by jumpering it with some test leads with alligator clips. You just short the pins on either side of the rocker switch with the center pins. Either side would work. You should see several of the LEDs on the front come on. You may also need to increase the temp setting of the pool or spa thermostat to see this come on. If none of this remedies the problem, there is likely an issue with the board.

My apologies Craig, I was about to order the replacement thermostat board and noticed it was different from the one in my heater. Closer inspection shows that my heater is actually a Purex Triton Minimax Plus 400 that utilizes a Honeywell ignition module also, so the link that you graciously gave for the replacement parts is actually for a different model, sorry!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome info Craig! I found this website that has the same part numbers but for slightly cheaper:
http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_heaters ... us_pg1.htm
I was also looking at the service manual (very grateful for this, all the google searching in the world ever since I bought the house couldn't find this manual)...according to my symptoms of Power light only on, it may actually be a problem other than the thermostat board...I'm a bit confused as to what the thermistor is (is it the same thing as the electronic thermostat part 41?).
I tried the DeOxit on the pool/spa switch rocker, no dice. I might just go for the gold and buy the thermostat board.When I opened the control panel up, I saw "PN 470194 on the schematics diagram, but on the websites its listed as 470179...I know they changed the connections in 1996-97 but is it still compatible?

I know nothing of pool heaters, full disclosure, but on copiers a Thermostat opens/closes the circuit for heat. A Thermistor is a temperature sensing device so the controller knows when it is running and at what temperature.

Volkg35, I'd call Pentair's tech support line and ask them to be certain. You should tell them the "symptoms" and I'm sure they could do a better job of coming up with a "diagnosis" than I. Also, you should check to see if the part number you have is correct. Regarding a thermister, as msgtdan said, a thermistor is basically an electronic temperature sensing device. It's an electronic resistor where its resistance is proportional in some range with the temperature. The resistance of the thermistor is compared with the resistance of either the pool or spa temperature controller (a variable resistor, or potentiometer).

UPDATE: So I bought a multimeter and troubleshot the problem...I ended up buying a new thermostat board and toggle switch (just like Craig advised), installed them and crossed my fingers...and I am happy to report that the heater fires up and heats perfectly! I have only a slight issue where the first 5 minutes the heater shuts off after lighting up and the service light comes on, and during that time I hear the pilot light trying to reignite the heater and it eventually lights up. This occurs for about 5 minutes then the heater runs without a hitch to the preset temperature. I'm thinking maybe I have to clean the burners off or something to that effect but all in all I'm super happy that I can now enjoy my hot tub and heated pool! Thanks everyone for your input, this forum is awesome!
PS - I did this all for under $150 (heater parts and a new multimeter)...$600 plus installation my @ss!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.