Pool green

Brushed the walls? Did you see stuff come off?

The Ph level is pretty high which can result in algae growth, plus clogging filters. Chlorine levels are definitely high enough to kill algae and then some though...

Did you run the filter for 24hrs and backwash? Not a sand filter expert, so this may be wrong, but did you add DE to make sure it's capturing everything? Check the sand condition as well?

How long have you been taking this on and what have you done (the more information the better.)

MOD note: Incorrect info above. PH does not cause algae growth. Do not add DE to a sand filter when the pool is still green.

Brushed the walls? Did you see stuff come off?

The Ph level is pretty high which can result in algae growth, plus clogging filters. Chlorine levels are definitely high enough to kill algae and then some though...

Did you run the filter for 24hrs and backwash? Not a sand filter expert, so this may be wrong, but did you add DE to make sure it's capturing everything? Check the sand condition as well?

How long have you been taking this on and what have you done (the more information the better.)

No. PH levels do not affect algae growth.

FC at 3 is bare minimum for a CYA of 40 Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School + SLAM

You have to keep that FC inline with your CYA and then maintain that FC level to kill the algae. The chlorine kills the algae, your filter system cleans the water.

I try to check my FC levels every 3-4 hours during the SLAM. Pretty much 8-9am then at noon-1pm then at 4-5pm then at 8pm. I was letting it spike (when I added, then not check for 6-12 hours) I would get very low readings when my target was 16ppm... when I started checking more often, I was able to "maintain" that target level and got more hours of work because more hours of the day my chlorine was at the right levels to kill the Algae.

If your target is for example 16ppm and you get that for 2-3 hours but spend the next 4-6 falling every hour, you are losing "time". Get it high & keep it high.

Shock
Level
And
MAINTAIN <-- part I was failing at and the part that I believe most fail at as I read more and more posts for help. In the vast majority of cases, it is low levels of FC compared to the CYA.

pool still green; last night fc level was 16; cya was 40; this morning checked fc and was 14.5; pool still green so added 1 gallon 8.25% liquid bleach this morning and will check levels when i go home; is 1.5 ppm chlorine loss mean there is still algae in pool? pool is bright green but cant see all the way to the bottom; left pump on recirculate all night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you mean to say you left the pump on recirculate? you need to be running it through the filter. The filter is what will clean the water, the chlorine kills the algae.

Can you post up a picture for us? Should be keeping one for yourself daily so you can see the progress as well. Same position and approx same time of day so light conditions are similar.

Get that filter in the game.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.