Pool green after adding ascorbic acid and chlorine

doctorfaraz

Apr 26, 2020
Houston
Hello experts,
Can anyone help me with the pool turning green after adding one gallon of liquid chlorine. I added ascorbic acid around 10 days back for stains. Water got better but now turning green. I read that chlorine should have been added slowly but I didn’t know. Should I add copper containing algicide now or it would not do the job?
I am not sure if green / brown color is of algae or stains coming back? Please help.

Thank you

Hello experts,
Can anyone help me with the pool turning green after adding one gallon of liquid chlorine. I added ascorbic acid around 10 days back for stains. Water got better but now turning green. I read that chlorine should have been added slowly but I didn’t know. Should I add copper containing algicide now or it would not do the job?
I am not sure if green / brown color is of algae or stains coming back? Please help.

Thank you
Welcome to the forums here at TFP! Glad you are here!

Yes, the liquid chlorine should have been added slowly. Do not add copper containing algaecide, ever. Once you introduce copper into the pool water, it will never go away. Unless you drain and replace. Or over a very, very long time of "splash out", backwash, wasting, etc.

Do you have a good test kit? Preferably the TF-100, TF-Pro or Taylor K2006C? If so, could you tell us what your measurements are?

I assume since you added ascorbic acid, you have high iron content in your fill water? Well water?

Likely what has happened is the AA became solution and when you introduced the chlorine, you likely didn't have the iron sequestered, causing the water to turn green. And the stains will come back. If you have iron in your fill water, you might look at the cost of having iron free water trucked in to do a complete drain and replace. Then look at different options to free the fill water of iron before you put it into the pool when you "top it off" (if rain water doesn't do it for you).

Last edited:
Your AA treatment moved the iron in your pool from the surfaces to being in solution in the water.

Water turning green is a common reaction to the sudden pH change when liquid chlorine is added if iron is in solution in the water. The green will disappear in a few days.

Did you add a sequestrant for the iron when you did the AA treatment?

You really should get rid of the iron water and replace it with fresh water if you have. Otherwise you will be dealing with the various effects of iron in your water.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, add anything with copper to your pool. It will do more harm then good.

Reactions: dBsooner
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.