Pool filter replacement

I replaced the gauge tonight. It now reads 6 PSI. I had just rinsed off the filters the day earlier, so does it seem pretty normal? I was expecting it to be a bit higher. Anyway, at least I know I have a working gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the gauge tonight. It now reads 6 PSI. I had just rinsed off the filters the day earlier, so does it seem pretty normal? I was expecting it to be a bit higher. Anyway, at least I know I have a working gauge.
I have a system 3; when my pump is at normal filtration speed, the gauge barely moves. When the pump is at its max speed for priming, I get about 16 psi when the filter is clean. It depends on the rest of your system, pipes, etc. My only complaint with the system 3 is that it takes me a long time to undo all the clamps, and then redo them when cleaning the carts. But I only have to clean once a year, so it's not too bad. There is a retro fit kit for the system 3; I have no experience with it. It is good to hear that Pleatco may come up with something. I've had my carts 5 years, and they are still doing fine.

I have a system 3; when my pump is at normal filtration speed, the gauge barely moves. When the pump is at its max speed for priming, I get about 16 psi when the filter is clean. It depends on the rest of your system, pipes, etc. My only complaint with the system 3 is that it takes me a long time to undo all the clamps, and then redo them when cleaning the carts. But I only have to clean once a year, so it's not too bad. There is a retro fit kit for the system 3; I have no experience with it. It is good to hear that Pleatco may come up with something. I've had my carts 5 years, and they are still doing fine.

Thanks for sharing that. Do you have a variable speed motor? Just curious about what you mean when Max speed for priming. My pumps are a bit above my pool so when they are shut down for a while it takes a while for them to prime. I have never looked at the gauge when that's happening. I just checked the gauge again and it's right around 5 psi. I am glad to hear you say that yours is low pressure as well, because I was worried if this was working.

My VS pump runs on high speed for 3 minutes when it starts, regardless of which speed it is set to run at. The manual says this is to ensure priming, so I can see why it could be called priming speed. I use high speed for backwashing as well.

My pumps are also above the pool, but they don't empty or require priming under ordinary operation. A few weeks after the install, my filtration pump lost prime. I tested once or twice and heard gurgling in the multiport valve. Air can come in from the backwash line if the spider gasket is faulty, so I removed the multiport valve to check it and found a bit of tape caught on the spider gasket. After removing the tape and buttoning it back up, the pump stayed full again.

Thanks for sharing that. Do you have a variable speed motor? Just curious about what you mean when Max speed for priming. My pumps are a bit above my pool so when they are shut down for a while it takes a while for them to prime. I have never looked at the gauge when that's happening. I just checked the gauge again and it's right around 5 psi. I am glad to hear you say that yours is low pressure as well, because I was worried if this was working.
Yes, I have a variable speed pump. I run it at 1200 RPM for normal filtering. When priming, the pump goes to its max speed, which I think is 3450 RPM. What I should have said is that when running the pump at full speed, which is 3450 RPM, I get 16 PSI. The gauge reading is not meaningful during actual priming, as you point out.

I am still a bit concerned about the working factor of my filter system. I have not been maintaining any water balance since I will be replastering, but thought I would clean it up a bit before the job since there was some algae, so I have been running the pump 24/7 for a week, adding a 1/2 gallon of Clorox daily while brushing floor every other day, trying to clear up a bit, really seeing no improvement. It was fairly clear prior to stirring up the algae off the floor and steps. I would think it would filter out some? Also the filter PSI still at ~5 psi. If it were taking any debris out should it not at least climb somewhat after a week? Maybe I am just paranoid. I know this is not a full slam procedure but I would think stirring things up while running filter 24/7 it would clean up a bit after a week.

My pump has not been running on a regular basis due to the fact I'm still waiting on Weather to replaster. That said the algae has started to grow. I put in a few gallons of bleach just to try to keep it under control, but I noticed my pump ran for probably close to 10 minutes before it primed. It does sit about 6 foot higher than my pool elevation, would this be normal? It did eventually prime and pump, but I get concerned about it running dry for that long. If it is not normal, what would be likely problem or the remedy? Pump basket and skimmers baskets are clean. I'm wondering if the pump is weak, I'm still not convinced that it pumps as good as it should, but I have no way of comparing since this is all new to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.