Pool filter inlet leaking

Thebadmechanic

May 17, 2023
Ontario
Hi I recently moved into a new home with a pool. The previous owners always had a pool company come in and open/close the pool. They paid for last year's opening for me. I don't like the poor service and cruddy work in my opinion (numerous leaks, silicone caulk around hoses/fittings. So this year I decided to open the pool my self. Everything went well for the most part. I have a threaded fitting threaded into my Hayward filter top with a Barb end for my hose. The threaded portion into the filter top has a pretty steady leak, I assumed tightening the fitting was necessary since I could turn it by hand. However tightening it by hand the fitting never actually gets tight but just free spins. I'm a car mechanic by trade so Im competent and able to fix stuff but I can't see why the fitting would leak and why it's free spinning without actually tightening. I see no obvious cracks or damage to either side of it. Any advice on what to look for is appreciated. Hoping to have an idea of what to expect before I begin taking stuff apart blindly.

Thank you

I'd suggest removing the fitting and inspect it for damage. If bad, replace it. Also clean up and inspect the the threads and surrounding area on the filter for damage.

Check both sides for compromised threads and cracking.

Thank you proavia. I'll take the threaded fitting out this weekend and inspect for any cracks or damages. I'm hoping that the filter top will be damage free, as the filter top seems to be quite a bit harder of a material than the threaded /Barb fitting. Hoping just the fitting is cracked or a stripped thread and I can just replace it and get on my merry way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.