Pool Filter Housing Leak

Alcyone

May 9, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I just noticed my pool filter housing is leaking around the metal latch. How can I fix this? I believe I need to open the valve at the top to relieve pressure and certainly stop the pump first. However, I don't have any experience with this and was just looking for some guidance.

My pool guy recently replaced the filters, so I'm not sure if something happened then.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7443[1].JPG
    IMG_7443[1].JPG
    700.3 KB · Views: 9
Try tightening the nut on the clamp. Here are instructions from the manual. It does not look like the coils are touching in your photo:

Begin to tighten nut using a 7/8 in. wrench. Then tap around the outside of the filter clamp with a mallet
(or similar tool) to ensure uniform loading and proper seating of the clamp. Continue tapping and tightening
until the spring coils touch each other. Do not tighten beyond this point.

Your pool guy should be able to fix it if you don't feel comfortable with a wrench. It is safe to run, but the plumbing might drain with the pump off. If so, you'll have a lot of air coming out of the returns at start up.

You can try tightening a bit more and see what happens.
What would you recommend?
You have two choices: wait for the pool guy or DIY.

If you decide to DIY, follow the instructions in the manual. Shut down the pump and remove the clamp. Note the position of the washers/bushings. Remove the lid and clean the mating surfaces. Clean and inspect the o-ring. I use a bit of dish soap on the o-ring when reassembling. While tightening the band clamp, tap around the clamp with a rubber mallet to seat it. Do this a few times during the process.

Reactions: Alcyone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks pretty dirty. Do you think the o-ring should be replaced?
Not that dirty. Old maybe, looking at the missing pleat bands, not a real issue) with a VSP. The spring coils in the picture are not touching completely and the nut needs to be tightened more. The spring will "complain," but if you spray a bit of lube like WD-40 it makes it easier.
Remove the O ring, clean the area that it sits in, add a light coating of pool lube to the O ring (which can be applied to the clamp-spring and washers as well). Clean the upper tank where it meets the O ring, tighten according o the instructions from Pentair:

6. After tightening by hand: a. Use a 7/8 in. wrench (ratchet wrench recommended) to tighten further. b. Tap around the outside of the clamp ring with a rubber mallet (or similar tool) multiple times around the entire clamp to fit the clamp properly. c. Continue to tighten until the spring coils touch. d. Tap around the entire clamp again and verify the spring coils remain touching. If not, continue to tighten the nut. Note: The clamp is installed correctly only when the spring coils remain touching after tapping the clamp

Just inspected for tears and damage. Mine is over 6 years old and still in good shape
Thanks very much for the help. I believe the issue is resolved. After removing the top of the housing, cleaning the surfaces, cleaning and inspecting the o-ring, and adequately tightening the nut so that the spring coils touch, I don't see any more leaks. I didn't see any damage to the housing either. There were a few drips for a while, but I believe this was from residual water since I left the pressure relief valve open while starting the pump back up.

In my opinion, the surfaces and o-ring had quite a bit of dirt on them and this likely interfered with proper sealing. It didn't appear that the pool guy, who replaced the filters, had properly cleaned the surfaces, nor did he properly tighten the nut.

For anyone wanting to do this themselves, I believe the pressure relief valve should be opened after turning off the pump. That way, dangerous pressure is released prior to opening. I left the pressure relief valve open while starting the pump to blow all the air out of the system. Once water sprays out, it can be closed.

For anyone wanting to do this themselves, I believe the pressure relief valve should be opened after turning off the pump.
Correct.

I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of yourself. Nobody cares more about your pool than you. Hopefully you'll be able to manage without the pool guy.

Reactions: Alcyone
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.