Pool estimate help...Please look and make suggestions!

May 26, 2007
Benton, La
This is the first of several pool quotes we have received. It does not seem very specific so can everyone please look this over and make suggestions on what I need to ask or have them add.

One thing I do notice is I need them to be specific about size of concrete area around perimeter of pool...

We are having them remove the in floor cleaning system and also the WAY overpriced Polaris 280...

Anything else anyone notice?

Pool View 1.jpg

Pool View 2.jpg

Morehead 1.jpg

Morehead 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Morehead%203_1.jpg

Well I'm a newbie here as well but I can say were getting a 16x38 fiberglass pool with 2 led lights 2 massage jets for seats pentair package with 3hp vs pump 420 sq ft cartridge filter and the p4 with 40k salt cell and 8ft all around concrete and a 25 retaining wall for 54k but were in the atlanta area

White plaster is nice, but I'd ask what it would cost to upgrade to a colored version. Also, it looks like they added an additional LED light. 2 would definitely be better than 1 in this case. Also, doesn't say how many skimmers they will add, but again, I think 2 would be better. Our pool is 42' long and it has 2.

Not sure where your steps are, but it looks like there are only 3 coming out of the tanning ledge and down 4'? That's a rise of 10" per step and might not be the most convenient. Our pool has 4 steps into 3 1/2' of water in the shallow end. Might want to keep the Polaris or upgrade to a robot? Definitely easier to maintain than vacuuming yourself and can be run on a schedule. I leave my pressure side cleaner in all week and run it 2-3 hours a day. By the weekend, it is nice and clean.

He said 2 skimmers, but isn't specific in the quote...
From reading other posts, sounds like I may need to drop to 2 led's and ask about lighting on the tanning ledge...
I definitely need to find out about the steps...
I do plan on going with a robot type cleaner...reading lots of posts here about them lately...

What size cartridge filter? Ask that....and go as big as you can as the bigger the filter the less often it will require cleaning.

It looks like a great pool design....you sure you don't want to go deeper?

Maddie :flower:

My wife is wanting to keep it shallower for volleyball and such...I do wish it could be a little deeper in the center.

- - - Updated - - -

5G Led? Read about them on another post...I assume they are the most modern and brightest?
How many inlets? Inlet on sunning ledge?

(For those wondering, I am making myself notes here on what to ask as I read other pool build threads.)

Emailed this PB back to day with the following requests and questions...is there anything else or did I miss anything? Thank you to everyone for the help!

Are the only steps in the pool the ones coming from the tanning ledge?

As for the lake side of the pool, what does this quote include you doing due to the elevation change? Filling in with dirt and tapering back to yard contour, retaining wall, homeowner responsibility, etc? Can you add the answer to the quote?

Please remove the infloor cleaning system and the Polaris 280 from the quote...

What size filtration system? Please add this info to the quote...

What type LED's? Are they the 5G's? I would like to request 2 5G's in the pool itself... what are options for a little lighting in the sunning ledge?

You mention 2 skimmers...can you specify that on the quote?

How many returns? Will there be a return on the sunning ledge? Please specify this info also...

One floor drain or two?

How much to add a separate dedication suction/vacuum line?

Can you please specify and/or be more specific on the paved areas? I/e how wide are walkways around pool. concrete poured to house, under porch, up to existing paved patio, etc

Why do you need two drains?

I'd ask the builder to give you a dollar allowance for the 6" waterline tile. The stuff you like might cost 2x what he has in mind.

I'd also make sure the build includes running an electrical outlet down by the pool deck. You're going to want someplace to plug things in.

-

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why do you need two drains?

I'd also make sure the build includes running an electrical outlet down by the pool deck. You're going to want someplace to plug things in.

-
If there is only one drain people can get trapped underwater when their body or hair get sucked against the suction (sadly usually kids). With two if you cover one of them the other side suctions more and the side a person is on doesn't suction or is so weak you can easily move away. They need to be spaced a certain distance apart and they are actually on one run of pipe (two drains but only one suction source). The former VP candidate, John Edwards, won big cases for these types of tragedies. You'll still see very old pools with one, flat drain sometimes. People should at least change the drain cover out but I'd disable the suction from the drain too.

Good point about the electrical outlet. If it's not code in the OP's area demand one be placed 10 feet away from the water but no further than 20 feet away. Without an outlet close by people will use extension cords and if no GFI is in use (common since most homes are not newer) forget it.

Still no itemized quote from the cheapest pool builder...this PB has been in business 30 something years and I can find no bad reviews on him... here are the email type quotes I have received from him.

attached is the pool you showed. I can fancy it up a bit after we discuss the cost and see if you plan on proceeding. It has a cleaner, 2 led lights, chlorinator, vacuum line, approx. 780 feet of decking, auto IQ control on phone, 4 sprays; tear out deck; an 800 dollar inclusion if you want to have one foot of stone on back side; variable speed pump ; 3 year parts and labor warranty on Zodiac equipment. Pricing based on accuracy of plan measurements.

We can add a led light and return or an led bubbler. The price is 53675 before the extra light.. a led light is 450.00!or a bubbler light kit 900. It changes colors

Pool Specifications

pool 32 x 16 3 ft. 6 or 4 ft to 5 ft. However you choose, with tanning ledge as drawn and steps on side of left from patio.

..we are the same except our deck came to 700 sq. ft.

Base pool

..same except 2- led lights included and white plaster can have added blue quartz for no additional charge

Hydraulics..

...we are the same except we use 2.6 in suction pipe for the main drain and plumb each skimmer independent with 2 in sch. 40; all pipes are outside the pool shell for easy access if repair is necessary. They are NOT piled on top of each other as in a bundle.

Maintenance

They replicate us with the exception that we balance and treat your water for the first 2 weeks.

Additional:

I have a salt system included; $1800. hundred dollars for electrical allowance; 4 deck sprays included; IQP4 Zodiac remote control for phone included; pool cleaner included with booster pump; vacuum line; remove your existing wood deck; 1 foot of allowance of 400 for stone on back of pool wall.

Our price, as sent to you is 52,975. We can add the colored led light with bubbler if desired. It would be 600. plus the cost of a transformer.

This is after I asked about his gunite shell psi and warranty...
4 returns.. not sure what psi is.. shell guaranteed to be capable of holding water as long as you own it. Same as Moore head. They have same contract.

This is after I complained about not being able to get an itemized estimate...
We don't print out our info until you sit with us, discuss everything, and are ready to sign a contract. Everything is include we spoke about but we don't make our proposals public because others 'have taken our schedules and included things which are unique and propitiatory to us on their plans implying them to be part of their work.

At our office everything is written and presented in contract terms. Normally, we don't show our plans until we meet at the office. We bid a lot of jobs and ususally sign them, but we have found the ones's we lose are because someone else shopped the plans and prices. If you see our facilities and proposals, you will understand why I say we are the most professional and trustworthy builder in the arklatex

This one worries me...he DOES use all his own people and no subcontractors and says this is why he is about $15K cheaper than everyone else...What do you guys think?

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I did more of an OB but I did meet with PB and some where very detailed and others were not, like Danny said people have different strengths and that's what appeals to the diverse group of people we are and helps all the builders stay in business and creates competition which keeps the price competitive. If you feel comfortable and they have good reviews and you see there work then go ahead and save the money with them. If not go with who you feel more comfortable with
I will tell you that $500 for the led light is just about at cost for the PB. Most builders charge 1k if you read through the post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.