Pool equipment in flood zone

Maverick23

Gold Supporter
Jan 11, 2023
Charleston
I am located in an AE8 flood zone and currently planning an in ground pool build.

City is requiring the following:

pool equipment shall be elevated to or above the design flood elevation (10’ AMSL) or be anchored to prevent floatation and protected to prevent water from entering or accumulating within the components during conditions of flooding.

Has anyone constructed their pool in a flood zone, what did you do with your equipment?

I am curious about the second portion of the statement below:

“protected to prevent water from entering or accumulating within the components during conditions of flooding.”

How would one achieve this? Does this require a barrier of some sort or is it simpler than that?

I can elevate the equipment but that seems like it presents its own set of problems.

I appreciate any insight you all can offer.

Welcome to TFP.

Lets ask @mas985 about the priming issues of a pump 10’ above the pool.

@TX2OBX built his equipment on a platform but not 10’ above the pool…

IMG_0987.jpeg

To me, 10' AMSL means the pump is installed 10' above average mean sea-level which is really immaterial. What is the height from the pool water level to the pump?

Site is AE8 for BFE. So would need to be above that.

I want to add an update to this. I talked to the building services department and they confirmed the pump can be installed at grade provided it is secured and powered on a GFCI circuit. Both easy issues to solve compared to putting a pump in the sky.

If the city requirement is it must be 10' AMSL, you need to determine how high your lot - and specifically the area where you intend to place the equipment - is above mean sea level.

Post some pics of the site and where you are in relation to the ocean.

If the city requirement is it must be 10' AMSL, you need to determine how high your lot - and specifically the area where you intend to place the equipment - is above mean sea level.

Post some pics of the site and where you are in relation to the ocean.
The lot is designated AE8 or BFE of 8 feet. I assume that means 8 feet from the grade of the lot. So by that logic the lot is 2 feet above sea level, IMO.

As I mentioned before, pool equipment can be mounted at grade as long as it’s properly secured and placed on a GFCI circuit. Knowing that now the point about BFE or AMSL has become somewhat mute.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.