Pool Equipment Experts! Help me do this right...

Your liner fabricator will indicate diving compliance with liner package.

If they say non-compliant - scrap the diving plan.. Again - I don't sell DBs, I just don't like them. & yes that's just my personal choice not to sell DBs

Ok quick update. It looks like I have settled on Pentair products to keep it simple for my automation (as suggested by an earlier poster). So I think I still need some help, this is where I am at now:

Pentair IntelliChlor IC60 SWG
Pentair Intellitouch Automation
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 (cartridge)
2 Skimmers
2 Main Drains
4 Returns
Dolphin Supreme M5 Robot
2 Color LEDs

Again, my pool specs are:

Surface Area: 722 Square Feet Dimensions: 19’ x 38’
Perimeter: 114 Feet Capacity: 33,700 Gallons
Depth: 3’6” to 9’ Spa: NA

I now need help with my pump and heating options. The pentair pump choices are too numerous for me to truly understand which is best. (PENTAIR Inground) I think I need a 1.5 or 2hp, but which model? Should I do variable speed or not?

Also, what would be the best heater option?

Thanks again everyone! I am feeling better about my equipment every day I am on this forum!

Ok quick update. It looks like I have settled on Pentair products to keep it simple for my automation (as suggested by an earlier poster). So I think I still need some help, this is where I am at now:

2 Skimmers
2 Main Drains
4 Returns
Dolphin Supreme M5 Robot
2 Color LEDs

Again, my pool specs are:

Surface Area: 722 Square Feet Dimensions: 19’ x 38’
Perimeter: 114 Feet Capacity: 33,700 Gallons
Depth: 3’6” to 9’ Spa: NA

I now need help with my pump and heating options. The pentair pump choices are too numerous for me to truly understand which is best. (PENTAIR Inground) I think I need a 1.5 or 2hp, but which model? Should I do variable speed or not?

Also, what would be the best heater option?

Thanks again everyone! I am feeling better about my equipment every day I am on this forum!

I should add that I live near Austin, TX so I figured a heat pump should be sufficient? Any reason to use a heater instead?

Variable speed is great. We have their intelliflow VS 3hp. Probably overkill, but if its worth doing, its worth over doing. We also have the MasterTemp 400K that seems to work fine as long as you have plenty of gas.

For the pump I would suggest an Pentair Intelliflow VS. I have the Intelliflow 011018 which is a 3 hp pump. With a VS pump, having a more powerful pump is never a problem since it never has to be run at its full speed. My old single speed pump was a 2 hp pump and it would draw 2,800 watts when running. The new VS pump can move more water and draws only 1,300 watts even at the highest speed it is ever run. Most of the time it runs at a very low speed drawing 100 watts. The larger VS pumps usually cost about same as their smaller counterparts, and provide greater flexibility and more features.

For the pump I would suggest an Pentair Intelliflow VS. I have the Intelliflow 011018 which is a 3 hp pump. With a VS pump, having a more powerful pump is never a problem since it never has to be run at its full speed. My old single speed pump was a 2 hp pump and it would draw 2,800 watts when running. The new VS pump can move more water and draws only 1,300 watts even at the highest speed it is ever run. Most of the time it runs at a very low speed drawing 100 watts. The larger VS pumps usually cost about same as their smaller counterparts, and provide greater flexibility and more features.

Hmm, my PB is recommending a Whisperflo 2hp. Why is the Intelliflow VS better? I typically agree with folks on this forum I just want to sound intelligent when I suggest the change.:cool:

The Whisperflo is not a VS pump. A major advantage of variable flow pumps is they allow you to adjust the speed (and power consumption) to optimize for any task. I use different speeds for different tasks. Each day my pump runs four different speeds. It starts each morning running a cleaning cycle then switches to the minimum speed required to support my SWG for several hours. If heat is called for and available at the solar collectors the solar controller opens the valve and ramps up the pump speed to the specific speed selected to run the solar system. In the afternoon the pump slows to a very slow speed for several hours just to provide extra filtration. You may not have a need for that many different speeds right now but it's far better to have that precise control and flexibility for future additions. VS cost a little more upfront but is definitely worth it. I would also suggest that you include surge protection in the pool sub panel to protect your pool equipment.

If you already had a Whisperflo 2 speed and were considering changing it out for a VS, it would be a bit harder to justify the cost, but in a new build there is so little additional cost that it's an easy call.

The Whisperflo is not a VS pump. A major advantage of variable flow pumps is they allow you to adjust the speed (and power consumption) to optimize for any task. I use different speeds for different tasks. Each day my pump runs four different speeds. It starts each morning running a cleaning cycle then switches to the minimum speed required to support my SWG for several hours. If heat is called for and available at the solar collectors the solar controller opens the valve and ramps up the pump speed to the specific speed selected to run the solar system. In the afternoon the pump slows to a very slow speed for several hours just to provide extra filtration. You may not have a need for that many different speeds right now but it's far better to have that precise control and flexibility for future additions. VS cost a little more upfront but is definitely worth it. I would also suggest that you include surge protection in the pool sub panel to protect your pool equipment.

If you already had a Whisperflo 2 speed and were considering changing it out for a VS, it would be a bit harder to justify the cost, but in a new build there is so little additional cost that it's an easy call.

Got it thanks!

Ok, so please check my selections one last time before I go back to the PB. Here is where I am at now:

Pentair Intelliflow VS
Pentair UltraTemp 140 Heat Pump
2 Skimmers
2 Main Drains
4 Returns
Dolphin Supreme M5 Robot
2 Color LEDs

That seem like a good setup?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what is your gas bill to heat your pool? In Oklahoma you decided against a heat pump?
Hi. I know you asked this to crashxx but I wanted to provide my experience in case it helps you decide. I live in southern NY (15 miles northeast of NYC). I have my pool open from mid may to mid/end September. I use natural gas and the most it's been is $90 more per month than without the pool heater. That is only for one month though (bill I get at end of June). The other months are way less and from the second week in July to labor day weekend I haven't used the heater the past 2 seasons (pool stays >= 84). So for me it was an easy choice to have 1) on demand heating as gas provides and 2) put the large savings from skipping the heat pump to my gas bill. That savings alone will pay for my gas usage for years and years.

Once you start running the pool 9 months a year that may or may not change things. Calculate the electric cost to run the heat pump (I have an easy to follow formula if you need). Other considerations...I don't use a solar cover (that can help retain heat and the heat pump would run less), we get into the 60s at night right after labor day and the days are often in the 70 or 80 (90 are rare but do happen).

So for me gas was better but I have a friend with a heat pump and they are happy too. You'll love either one :)

So what is your gas bill to heat your pool? In Oklahoma you decided against a heat pump?

Oops, I missed this earlier, sorry. I haven't used it a lot, but over Labor Day weekend I kept the pool at 90 (my wife hates cold water). The cover was closed when not in use. Starting temp was about 82. Best I can figure, we used about 35 gal of LP @ 1.25 per gallon over a 3 day stretch. I never considered a heat pump due to the cost and the fact that we will only use the heat periodically. I won't just have it maintain a certain temp all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.