bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi you all. With dry rot getting worse, I really need to do something with the pool equipment enclosure unit I have. I have tried to make it last as long as possible, and it is still going. I have posted about this years back, but have made it last. Anyhow, I previously thought about trying to sawzall a plastic storage unit to fit it (like this Keter Cortina Mega Cortina Mega Graphite Medium Storage Shed - Keter US), which would be a great fit, but I would lose access to approach my equipment from the left side and access the pump.

Now I have simply ordered a pool pump cover to cover the digital display, as that is the main thing I am concerned about. Once I left it in the sun, only to come back later and now have a hard time reading the digital display. My question is, how many of you leave your equipment just out in the open to fry in the sun and/or soak in the rain?

My filter cartridge housing is fiberglass and showing its age as when I rub my hand on the unit, a very light fine coating shows on my hand. I'd just like to know, besides the pump electrical computer/variable speed display, is it necessary to cover/protect your filter housing from the elements? I am more concerned about the heat and sun vs. the rain and water.

My equipment in the Sacramento sun for decades with no issues. Just keep the door/cover over the digital display closed at all time. My pump has the same drive as yours and is 13+ years old.

My filter, like yours, has deteriorated a bit. Being a Pentair, I bought their highly overpriced ($20/can) paint to match and sprayed it. Hayward factory color is available as well but it is now about $20 - $22.00/can.

For other brands of filter, I have used inexpensive Home Depot Quick Color clear. Not pretty, but it works. On some older Pentair/PacFab single cartridge filters with black tanks I used Home Depot Quick Color flat black. Easier to use than gloss and looks better. Used to be $.97/can, now $2.50.

Tried more expensive brands, like Rustoleum, but they were never any better than the Quick Color.

Got it. Thx.

Unfortunately, my model does not have a door/cover to close over the digital display. Before my original post, I purchased an after-market pump cover. So, hopefully that can just snap on and give some protection.

I don't think I would bother trying to paint the old fiberglass on my 4 cartridge filter housing. I have a beast of a unit that holds 4 cartridges. I guess the worse that can happen is the sun just would deterioate it more and I buy a new one. Probably would be cheaper than having some handyman/carpenter design/build some new wood enclosure unit like I have to go over my equipment.

The enclosure works to prevent an eyesore with the pool equipment (pump, filter) being in view. But, I am sure I would not care over time.

My equipment is just out in the elements. I do have a cover over the pump display which remains closed unless I need to make a change. This equipment is from 2016 so about 7 years old and the only thing showing some age is the filter where the sticker labels are peeling or have peeled off. I’ve thought about covering it, or building something around it, but it doesn’t bother me enough so my plan is to leave it as is.

Got it. Thx.

Unfortunately, my model does not have a door/cover to close over the digital display. Before my original post, I purchased an after-market pump cover. So, hopefully that can just snap on and give some protection.

I don't think I would bother trying to paint the old fiberglass on my 4 cartridge filter housing. I have a beast of a unit that holds 4 cartridges. I guess the worse that can happen is the sun just would deterioate it more and I buy a new one. Probably would be cheaper than having some handyman/carpenter design/build some new wood enclosure unit like I have to go over my equipment.

The enclosure works to prevent an eyesore with the pool equipment (pump, filter) being in view. But, I am sure I would not care over time.
First generation MaxFlo VSP. Installed several. Actually made sun shields over the control from dark plexi-glass because I didn't like the "no protection" for that touchpad. Could get most of the material free from a local plastics store. Used to do it for early Ray Pak heaters as well.
You do need to cover that control with anything that will keep the sun off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.