Pool Edge Decision

Jun 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
So, I have a designer working on my yard / pool. His initial design has a euro edge on most of the pool. Am I crazy for considering this? It seems like it adds a lot of work but I do love the look. I plan on doing work myself and subbing out some. Any input or experience with this type of pool is appreciated!

Attachments

• Paul_004.jpeg
    Paul_004.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Paul_005.jpeg
    Paul_005.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Paul2d_001.jpeg
    Paul2d_001.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 67
Hi and welcome to TFP! That is a nice design BUT (bet you saw that coming) the skill set to do it correctly may be very hard to find. The angle and slopes will be oh so important. This is not an every day design for sure. Does your designer know anyone that has done this kind of pool before? If so ask to go see it in person.

You are crazy for considering that type of pool design in NJ where the pool is open only 6 months out of the year and the pool needs to be winterized.

Ask the “designer” how the channel drains will be winterized? What materials are put in the channels and how they will hold up to freezing water and snow on them? What local builder has built and maintained that style pool?

Those tanning ledges are cool in FL but are subject to spalling when water freezes on them in the winter.

Keep your NJ pool simple so you don’t spend half your short pool season fixing things.

It looks to me like you have a “designer” who likes to present conceptual ideas with little practical consideration to costs or maintenance.

Reactions: kimkats
You are crazy for considering that type of pool design in NJ where the pool is open only 6 months out of the year and the pool needs to be winterized.

Ask the “designer” how the channel drains will be winterized? What materials are put in the channels and how they will hold up to freezing water and snow on them? What local builder has built and maintained that style pool?

Those tanning ledges are cool in FL but are subject to spalling when water freezes on them in the winter.

Keep your NJ pool simple so you don’t spend half your short pool season fixing things.

It looks to me like you have a “designer” who likes to present conceptual ideas with little practical consideration to costs or maintenance.
Sorry, never updated my location. I’m in Las Vegas so it doesn’t need to be winterized. I also have an elevated lot with a view of the strip.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 27
I think @setsailsoon is doing an OB in FL with a similar design…

Wherever you will have a water line, you will get calcium scale buildup. At least some, even if you use softened water for make up water. Be sure all those surfaces can be cleaned.

Paul,

It's definitely a crazy idea and that's why I'm doing mine this way. Keeping it affordable is also crazy difficult. Forming is more expensive, gunite is more expensive, and it's harder to find qualified, experienced crews. I build a custom home last year as an OB and only had to fire one crew... look at my recent pool project post and you'll see the pool isn't getting off to a very good start.

Chriis

Here is where I’m currently at Having difficulty sourcing a surge tank for a reasonable price so I may scrap the euro edge. :(View attachment 554886
Phil,

This design is more challenging for the basin than mine was because I have an infinity wall at the rear of the pool so I simply have a basin at the base of the infinity wall. The basin is about 3'x32'X 2'. Below is a view from the back side. Water will over-flow the wall into the basin and it continues about 3' below grade and pump suction is at the bottom which is also even with the bottom of the deep end (7'). The euro edge surrounds the rest of the pool and spills out at each end into the basin via 2" pipe. The tile beyond the 2" slot to the gutter is sloped about 5% so I can shut off the gutter flow and force all water over the infinity edge without flooding the pool deck.

In your case I don't know any way to accomplish a euro edge without an underground surge tank. I would think the surge tank volume would need to be at least 300 gal and preferably 500 gal. Since I have a long infinity edge this is easiest to accomplish with a basin. Mine is about 1500 gal which is almost over-kill. But I pay a little price for this with the volume of water required for a nice-looking over flow. Thanks to @JamesW for help with the calculation I was able to confirm a 5 HP Pentair commercial pump will do the deed.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
1708477909223.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.