Pool Desgin - Need expert advice please

linen said:
If I had no other choices, I would choose the 2 inch flex. With that said, if you want 2" rigid, I would ask what it they would charge.

Up in northern climates, flex often is used as some believe it is more forgiving with ground heave. Another advantage to flex is less glue joints, though the joints you do have to make must be made well. I have seen a number of pools up here almost fully plumbed with flex, and have not heard of many problems. Additionally, termites tend not to be a problem in northern climates.

EDIT: I see you are refering to tiger flex and not flexible pvc. My comments above were for flexible pvc...I do not know much about tiger flex for pool plumbing.

Thanks linen....is there a difference between tiger flex and flexible pvc? I've even heard of spa flex....I know nothing of these.

If anyone has experience with any of these products could you please chime in?

Thanks

Re pool depth, I built a sport play pool. 3.5 one end, 4 ft other and 5 ft in the center. But then, I believe there should never be any diving in a residential size pool, so no need for extra depth. If I had it to do again it would be 4 ends and 5 center. Deep enough to swim if you want, great for volley ball, water aerobics other sports. Extra depth means more water maintain. More chemicals, more maintainence costs and shorter swim seasons, waiting for the extra water to warm up enough to swim.

But, If you do want an 8 ft end, what's the purpose of the 6 ft area. It's too deep to stand in either depth. (unless you're over 7 ft. tall).

I have a bit different perspective than chiefwej, as I (and my kids) love deep water. Diving (when in the water) down and getting stuff off the bottom, practicing for waterpolo (though technically that can be done in 5 ft of water), etc. I do agree with chiefwej, and I would probably not put in a diving board. If you do go with a deep end, I would have a good sized shallow and a good sized deep end and forget putting something in between.

I am not familiar enough with tiger flex to comment on it.

Thanks guys...I think you guys are right but this is my thinking:

My thinking was that no one really treads water for a long time so the deep end is mainly for jumping in (not diving) and then swimming to shallow end or to the ladder to do it again. So I though why bother with a very long 8ft stretch where it's not really used alot. At 6ft, my kids and myself are tall, can bounce on our toes to keep our head out of the water without having to tread and its deep enough to still jump in. We will not be having a diving board.

Does that make sense?

It takes a very large pool to make it safe. Most residential size pools have a diving well with fairly steep drop off wall from the shallower area. Many diving accidents result from striking the bottom, but also from striking the drop off wall. Having worked 40 years in Fire and Emergency Services, I have seen way too many injuries and deaths. The first thing I did with my old house was remove the diving board and set a rule that there was no diving allowed. When I built a new pool, it's a play pool...no diving.

If you have a pool that has a large enough deep area that its impossible to strike the opposite wall in the "diving well" it's unusual for a residential pool. It's usually a young athletic male that dives too far forward and strikes the wall leading to serious neck or head injury. I've seen more than a few.

My pool is very large compared to most residential pools. See my signature line. It also has a very small shallow end with a large 10' bottom. I'm not saying it would not be possible to get hurt, but you would really have to be trying to get hurt to do so. Part of what makes mine a little more dangerous is it has a commercial style diving board like you'd see at a YMCA, it is very springy, very long, and you can really rocket off the thing with not a lot of effort. For kids, it's totally safe, but for stupid adults... well let's just say it might put some chlorine into the gene pool.

Mix some alcohol, some teen or twenty something kids, and a residential pool with a diving board.......

I don`t know or have experience from a pool application of using Tigerflex. But from a manufacturing application of resin conveyance of polyethyel pellets using 2" Tigerflex it holds up very well. I have been making Gas, Oilpatch, Municipal, and Geothermal polyethyel pipe for 25years and I know there is 2" Tigerflex pipe in some our our silo that has been in use since 1989. So my thoughts are Tigerflex pipe is better than PVC flex pipe just my opinion and yes I might be a little bias since I product Polyethyel pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kidjake28 said:

My thinking was that no one really treads water for a long time so the deep end is mainly for jumping in (not diving) and then swimming to shallow end or to the ladder to do it again. So I though why bother with a very long 8ft stretch where it's not really used alot. At 6ft, my kids and myself are tall, can bounce on our toes to keep our head out of the water without having to tread and its deep enough to still jump in. We will not be having a diving board.

Does that make sense?

I think I disagree. I think the 6' depth would not be very useful. You would have to be well over 6' to bounce on your toes and start above water ... and no one it's going to want yo do that. Yet one $1 noodle and you can float in the deep end all day.

That mid depth just seems off. To deep to stand. To shallow to jump.

Stump said:
I don`t know or have experience from a pool application of using Tigerflex. But from a manufacturing application of resin conveyance of polyethyel pellets using 2" Tigerflex it holds up very well. I have been making Gas, Oilpatch, Municipal, and Geothermal polyethyel pipe for 25years and I know there is 2" Tigerflex pipe in some our our silo that has been in use since 1989. So my thoughts are Tigerflex pipe is better than PVC flex pipe just my opinion and yes I might be a little bias since I product Polyethyel pipe.

Thanks for your input but correct me if I'm wrong, you transport pellets not liquid and what type of climate are you in? I'm in Toronto Canada and it can get as cold as -4F. Sometimes colder but rare.

jblizzle said:
kidjake28 said:

Does that make sense?

I think I disagree. I think the 6' depth would not be very useful. You would have to be well over 6' to bounce on your toes and start above water ... and no one it's going to want yo do that. Yet one $1 noodle and you can float in the deep end all day.

That mid depth just seems off. To deep to stand. To shallow to jump.

Good point about the noodle.....so how should I split the depths (4ft,8ft) 50/50?

What is the pool design software that you used? Thx

My 2 cents: My research found flex is not rated to as high of psi as rigid. Had a PB tell me he air tested all flex plumbing to 30psi. My thought, oh really, it is not rated that high. I will not be using that PB.
Good luck with your decision.

Flatlander said:
What is the pool design software that you used? Thx

My 2 cents: My research found flex is not rated to as high of psi as rigid. Had a PB tell me he air tested all flex plumbing to 30psi. My thought, oh really, it is not rated that high. I will not be using that PB.
Good luck with your decision.

I used Punch Design Landscape software. It's really easy to use.

As for the research what is your sources? I've got these ratings directly off of the manufactures website.

BW200X100 -40 to 150 ºF 2 in 2.350 in 59.8 mm 90 PSI 65 PSI 7.00 in 0.62 lbs/ft

http://kuriyama.thomasnet.com/viewitems ... 21|3002242

I have to chime in and agree with Jblizzle on the depth although it really boils down to personal preference. We put our pool in one year AFTER some good friends so I had someones brain to pick. I was told by my friend that the 6 foot depth in the deep end was her biggest regret. It is too shallow to dive in and too deep to really play in (and they are tall). We chose the "L" design for that reason.....reasonable shallow area for playing/relaxing and deep end goes to 8'. we have lots of noodles and I love floating in the deep end. And with a noodle you can still float in deep end and toss a ball or something.

Yes, I found that too after googling Tigerflex. Down south all the PB use flex PVC and if I remember the info flex PVC was rated to about 10psi and rigid PVC about 30psi. Tigerflex looks like some great material!
Thanks for the software name, I will give it a try.

Not sure where you are getting your data?

Schedule 40 rigid 1.5" had an operating pressure of over 150psi at 70 degrees.

While Flex PVC is rated at 60 psi

Not sure about tiger flex

All pool equipment is rated at 50psi, although generally the pump can not produce that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.