Pool Deck Concrete Sealer Question

Woody007

Aug 20, 2020
Midwest US
20 yr old, brushed concrete decking needs a coat of some type of sealer. It looks "dry", and some sand is flaking off.
I called a local construction shop and they recommended this product.
The thing that sticks out to me is the description as a seal coat, implying to me that it may be a surface product that may eventually wear in spots. (could be wrong)
Then I have some of this product left from doing boarder on driveway. It's been down for about 3 years and doesn't show signs of wear although it doesn't look fresh like the first season.
Point is, I want a penetrating product to protect the surface, not be slick when wet and not require frequent reapplication.
Anyone have experience with either product i listed or recommend a commercial level product that last?
Thanks!

I would look for a siloxane or a silane/siloxane hybrid. It is a penetrating sealer. Not slick or wet looking (you won't see it). Depending on concrete quality and product quality, you should get 3-5 years per application.

The two that you link are acrylics...kinda like putting superglue over your concrete.

I would look for a siloxane or a silane/siloxane hybrid. It is a penetrating sealer. Not slick or wet looking (you won't see it). Depending on concrete quality and product quality, you should get 3-5 years per application.

The two that you link are acrylics...kinda like putting superglue over your concrete.
I'll look into your suggestions, thanks. I may have used something like that years ago on a driveway to protect from salt. I found out it's a real penetrator. I initially poured a little on the drive to roll in and it basically was like pouring it on a screen door.

The one product I linked has worked well on the drive so far. They must have it formulated to sink in well before it dries because there is no evidence of it on the surface, but the one recently suggested sounds too much like a top coat.

Reactions: PoolStored

Any experience with this product? Seems like what I would need best I can tell.

Armor SX5000 Penetrating Silane Siloxane Concrete Sealer and Masonry Water Repellen

I would put on a penetrating sealer suggested by PoolStored. Foundation Armor makes a good sealer. If you want a sealer that gives a wet look, then you could use a solvent based acrylic sealer because they can be recoated with the same sealer every few years. Avoid water-based acrylic sealer.

Reactions: Woody007

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the information. I had scanned those before but wasn't sure if rolling after spraying to even out was needed. After I do an application, it will be much clearer to me, doh. :)
The SX 5000 is what I was thinking, unless you have better experience with another product.

I see it is recommended to use a commercial pump sprayer. I am not a professional and don't intend to buy a commercial sprayer. What type of sprayer would also work?

I see it is recommended to use a commercial pump sprayer. I am not a professional and don't intend to buy a commercial sprayer. What type of sprayer would also work?
I've ordered the foundation armor 5000 and in the process of picking a sprayer too. I called a local construction place which sells nice sprayers and they said for a one time use to get a inexpensive garden sprayer and toss it when done.
Problem for me is, I don't know how viscus the product is and will a cheap sprayer work well.
If I'm going to all the trouble to apply the seal I might as well get a good sprayer that the manufacturer recommends. The price is high on their website, but similar sprayers are high on Amazon too.

Edit to add that I contacted Foundation Armor and they pointed out that most of the cheap sprayers can't handle the solvent based product. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and order their sprayer, which he pointed out is a ~$220 sprayer that they sell cheaper.
Are you anywhere near the Midwest? I'll make you a good deal on a slightly used sprayer. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jgofnj
Silane/Siloxane is fairly thin (not viscous) and sprays easily. The issue with the sprayers is the quality of the tips and how even they spray. Cheapo sprayers have crappy tips. Likely worth the investment to get a quality tip and even distribution.

Reactions: Woody007
20 yr old, brushed concrete decking needs a coat of some type of sealer. It looks "dry", and some sand is flaking off.
I called a local construction shop and they recommended this product.
The thing that sticks out to me is the description as a seal coat, implying to me that it may be a surface product that may eventually wear in spots. (could be wrong)
Then I have some of this product left from doing boarder on driveway. It's been down for about 3 years and doesn't show signs of wear although it doesn't look fresh like the first season.
Point is, I want a penetrating product to protect the surface, not be slick when wet and not require frequent reapplication.
Anyone have experience with either product i listed or recommend a commercial level product that last?
Thanks!
Update to share what I ended up doing.
I used the Foundation Armor solvent based product and their sprayer.
Product went on well and the sprayer worked great. They included a fan type spray tip that was almost too much product so I used the stock tip. Around the pool I was just very cautious about the spray pattern and was able to get up to the edge without masking.
Water beads very well and the sealant has penetrated. It didn't change the concrete appearance at all, even though I wouldn't have minded a little darkening to make the old concrete look more uniform. I think I took the finish layer of sand off when power washing, but it will likely smooth out over time.
Thanks for the assistance in making a product choice.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.