East Norwich, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I am trying to determine "value" for a quote my pool builder gave me for a pool cover. I have in the past seen quotes ranging from $4k to $7k for the pool covers over the past few years (as recently as last summer). My current quote is about ~$9k for the cover and then another ~$3,200 for installation and winterization. It basically comes out to be ~$12k in the end.

My pool is a kidney bean with a wall and according to the quote the Pool Size is 19-6 X 37-0 and the cover size is 22-039.6 for an approximate area of 880sf. I have attached a photo showing the walls and why it is custom fit.

These are the same builders that renovated my backyard and pool (not a new pool but new plumbing, skimmers, pumps, lights, heater, etc.). They are charging ~$600 to open or close pool (and that is without chemicals or tax), which I don't think includes cleaning the filter :(.

Anyhow, I am pretty much happy with their work (I feel that no contractor is ever going to do things 100% to satisfaction - communication is always the worst), so I wanted to get a feel for these prices. Are they over charging me? I am in NY, so we don't get to experience the great prices of other areas :).

Attachments

• Backyard Waterfall Wall 071223.jpg
    Backyard Waterfall Wall 071223.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 21
My more standard 20x40 cover was $2700 plus $500 to install it. (Looploc dense mesh). They did the stair offset custom and reinforced the stair corners but the re tangle part was off the shelf. I could see double my price for a custom cover, but drilling holes is drilling holes and I don't see the waterfall/wall requiring am extra $2700 in parts and labor.

They did want $700something to close, which I politely declined. Actually I spit my coffee at the offer and akwardly declined trying to contain the mess.

20221122_110549.jpg

...drilling holes is drilling holes...
I have seen other estimates for about ~$1k in installation, but I also thought that ~$3,200 was a little too high. When I questioned the price, I got the following response "...inclusive of the new grommets for the new pool cover that are drilled into the stone and the winterization of the pool...". I mean maybe there is a world where ~$2k sounds understandable since they are winterizing the pool at their price, but the math does not add up...maybe it is us downstate folks in NY?

That's a 'we're gonna be too busy unless this idiot pays us a stupid amount of money' quote, IMO. (y)

It also might be a zip code quote beacuse that's what all your neighbors had no problems paying.

2 companies I asked told me flat out they weren't taking on any new customers. I genuinely thanked them for not wasting either of our time.

I have received more reasonable quotes of approximately $6,500 from several other pool comapnies. They also charge half the price for opening and closing. It may come down to deciding between the super dense mesh and this new aqua xtreme. I couldn't find much technical specs to compare besides what they advertise do I dont know if one is higher density or better drainage. I have a guy coming to do the image lock to get a more precise quote.

Reactions: Newdude
My more standard 20x40 cover was $2700 plus $500 to install it. (Looploc dense mesh). They did the stair offset custom and reinforced the stair corners but the re tangle part was off the shelf. I could see double my price for a custom cover, but drilling holes is drilling holes and I don't see the waterfall/wall requiring am extra $2700 in parts and labor.

They did want $700something to close, which I politely declined. Actually I spit my coffee at the offer and akwardly declined trying to contain the mess.

View attachment 522650
New, a little early to close up shop no?? :LOL:

I was quoted $4100 for a Merlin smart mesh cover. That included the cover and hardware, install of the anchors and closing the pool. I ended up buying an HPI 99% light blocking cover that I will install myself for $1600. Even if i get half the life out of it I figure I am ahead. Still more than using a water bag cover, but I just don't want to deal with water bags anymore or cleaning off the cover either.

Finally closed the pool and had a reasonable company charge what is now a reasonable price ~6k. I was a little shocked to hear that they didnt use any antifreeze after they blew out all the lines. I am not even sure they used any chemiclas, so I am going to double check that with them. They did disconnect the pumps and SWCG, which I am storing in my shed. Any other things I should do for the winter? For example, should I get a cover for the heater?

20231020_172434.jpg20231020_172422.jpg20231020_172347.jpg20231020_172230.jpg20231020_172254.jpg

Make sure the filter is drained.

iF the lines were blown out well and the plugs seal, antifreeze isn't needed. It's nice to have it in the lines in case the plugs don't seal and water gets in them.

I would also cap or plug all the open unions. Just so something doesn't try to make the lines it's new home.

Any other things I should do for the winter?
Check the water level occasionally and drain when close to full, or right before a big freeze. The farmers almanac says it should be a cold year, NOAA is saying it'll be a few degrees warmer than usual. 🤷‍♂️

should I get a cover for the heater?
Cover just the top and maybe a couple inches on the sides but leave the bulk of it open to breathe. Also, if you make it too hospitable for rodents, well, then you get rodents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure the filter is drained.

iF the lines were blown out well and the plugs seal, antifreeze isn't needed. It's nice to have it in the lines in case the plugs don't seal and water gets in them.

I would also cap or plug all the open unions. Just so something doesn't try to make the lines it's new home.
I said the same thing, but the guy closed the valves on one side and plugged the other side...i think I have some of those rubber plugs laying around...

That looks really good!
As far as closing chems goes it’s really nothing more than adjusting ph & raising fc to slam level - then either letting fc fall 1/2 way between slam & high target then adding polyquat 60 or covering without waiting & no polyquat. Maybe be glad they didn’t add any mystery chemicals 🤷‍♀️
If you didn’t do those things you may wanna do an fc check periodically (before the freeze & right after the thaw) to make sure you haven’t dipped below minimum.
Your last poolmath log shows ph 8 & fc 13.6 & cya of 80 so minimum is 6ppm. So You have a while before fc will get too low since temps are dropping fast & you’re blocking uv now.
The rain will make its way through the cover & likely lower ph so no biggie there.
Definitely plan to open early before the water temps rise above 60 degrees.

Reactions: Animal827
Cover just the top and maybe a couple inches on the sides but leave the bulk of it open to breathe. Also, if you make it too hospitable for rodents, well, then you get rodents.
So, I keep reading about how I should cover the pool heater (or not cover)...i get not covering all the way down for the mice, but now I'm worried about covering that LCD panel and containing moisture. I already replaced the panel just after 3 months of use. I was thinking of wrapping the multiport ontop of the filter in a plastic bag...but mayne i should pick a bag with many holes. I can't beleive I'm confusing something so simple...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.