Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Last year I was having trouble with my pool cover pump (Superior Pump) getting airlocked or clogged with small debris in the airlock port. I upgraded to a 1" hose; the max supported by the pump. I didn't have an issue with airlocking all winter or spring and was also able to drain the pool cover a lot quicker. Thought I would share for anyone having issues, or wanting to move a lot more water off their pool cover. I didn't appreciate how much more water a 1" hose moves vs 5/8".

Good idea. I use a 1 1/4" pool vacuum hose attached to my Little Giant pump. I may have had to put another fitting into the stock fitting to have it be big enough. The vacuum hose just pushes onto the pump fitting and stays without any problem. Since the hose is so large in diameter, there is very little pressure to try and force it off. Another reason I like it is because it wraps up so easily around the pump when I'm putting it away. Its amazing how quickly it empties the cover (or pool since I also drop it in to lower the water level in winter or as needed). I upsized like you did then went up one more. Very happy with it as well.

Edited to show the items I bought (pic only not link since one isn't good anymore). Note that the 1" fitting slides into the white plastic of the 1 1/4" vacuum hose perfectly. I may have needed to unscrew/remove the existing original fitting in the Little Giant, I can't recall yesterday, let alone 4 years ago.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: