Pool Cover Off ~ YIKES!!!! *Looking Good*

Re: Pool Cover Off ~ YIKES!!!! Added Progression Pics

Getting there!!!! I think I am going to continue to vacuum but now on filter mode since the majority of debris is out. Ready to start testing again and BBBing. Woot!!!! 8)

DSC03979.jpg

DSC04007.jpg

DSC04017.jpg

Re: Pool Cover Off ~ YIKES!!!! *Progression Pics Added*

Need, no.

You can use it for times when you can't attend to the daily routine, like vacations or long weekends, etc. The tablets are acidic and they lower PH, so that must be monitored when they are being used, so that the PH doesn't get too low. So if you were to go away for a week, make sure your PH at the high end of the recommended range before you go, and check it when you get back and add Borax if you need to raise it.

Also, the tablets add CYA. So that too must be kept in check thru fresh water replacement. With a sand filter, and since it's very likely you don't have any CYA in your pool, that shouldn't be an issue at first. If you do use them from time to time, just make sure the FC is kept at the appropriate level for the corresponding CYA. If the CYA gets too high, you can replace some of the water to lower it.

When you are ready to begin balancing your water, you'll test for CYA and if there is zero, it's best to add it seperately rather than use the pucks, they won't add it quick enough to build up the recommended 30-50 level.

Hope this makes sense.

My TA is high (120) and from what I understand on the Pool Calculator (and recommended levels link) it should be around 90. I am still low on chlorine levels (currently at a 1/2) and will be adding more tonight.

I don't quite understand this from the Pool Calculator: "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH. Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH"

Do I want to manipulate my pH levels on the Calculator to determine how much Borax to add or does this have to be the Muriatric Acid specifically???? I'm confused!!!

My levels this afternoon:

FC: 1/2
pH: 7.8
TA: 120 (needs to be down to around 90)

Thanks!

FunInTheSun said:
My TA is high (120) and from what I understand on the Pool Calculator (and recommended levels link) it should be around 90. I am still low on chlorine levels (currently at a 1/2) and will be adding more tonight.

I don't quite understand this from the Pool Calculator: "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH. Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH"

Do I want to manipulate my pH levels on the Calculator to determine how much Borax to add or does this have to be the Muriatric Acid specifically???? I'm confused!!!

Yes, it can get confusing sometimes, but you are doing fine. Unless you are having issues with rising pH requiring frequent MA additions, there is no need to lower your TA.

My levels this afternoon:

FC: 1/2 Do not understand FC 1/2? Is this a typo?
pH: 7.8 IF your FC was below 10ppm when you tested your pH, use MA to lower your pH to 7.4 - 7.6 range.
TA: 120 (needs to be down to around 90)See above comments. :wink:

Thanks!

Oops, I meant that my FC was between a 1 or a 2 (wallyworld test strips) ~ will be upgrading soon with a more comprehensive testing kit.

So, with my TA being 120 (should be around 90) I do not need to try and lower it? If so, should I so with the Borax or does it have to be the MA exclusively?!?

Thanks!

FunInTheSun said:
Oops, I meant that my FC was between a 1 or a 2 (wallyworld test strips) ~ will be upgrading soon with a more comprehensive testing kit.
Excellent idea! :goodjob: I recommend the TF100 from Dave. Link in my sig and on home page.
So, with my TA being 120 (should be around 90) I do not need to try and lower it?

No, you do not need to lower it unless you are having problems with rising pH and having to add MA more often that you may like.
If so, should I so with the Borax or does it have to be the MA exclusively?!? IF you need to lower you should follow the Pool School Article. My suggestion to you now is to just forget about your TA and concentrate on getting your pool cleared. Also, do some more reading in Pool School. :wink:

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

FunInTheSun said:
So, with my TA being 120 (should be around 90) I do not need to try and lower it? If so, should I so with the Borax or does it have to be the MA exclusively?!?

Joyce is right, follow her advice. I doubt you'll have any problems from your TA level, leave it alone for now.

Just remember, Borax raises PH, Muratic Acid lowers it. :wink:

Ah ha! Somehow I missed that between the Borax and the MA, now I have it! Thanks so much! ;)

I can't wait to have this pool up and running ~ we *hope* to have a birthday pool party for our Son the first weekend in June, fingers crossed.

Another question is: where can I find out when it is *safe* for just me to enter to the pool to some scrubbing and cleaning up? I know that my FC level would need to be around a 4, will that suffice once I'm there or will I be looking for other things?!?

Thanks so much for all your wonderful advice!

Okay, you are ready to begin shocking your pool, so read about that in Pool School, if you haven't yet. Do you have a better way to test yet?

Your PH and TA are fine, but you need to check your CYA level, if you have any. Once you know your CYA level, you can shock your pool, according to the chart. If you don't have any, it's a good idea to get some in there rather soon, or all the FC will be lost to sunlight.

With the FC at shock level, that is when you should scrub. If you have an old suit or clothes that you don't mind risking, you can get in at shock level. If your shock level is 10, you can swim safely at 8 or 9, many users report doing this with no issues. (Worse conditions exist at many indoor pools) 4 is not a magic number, it really depends on what your CYA is.

I think one risks more harm from the bacteria that might be present than shock-FC levels. So you probably want to shock for a couple of days before you get in, try to kill most stuff off. Just use the brush on the pole best you can till then.

1st week in June, no problem, you'll be all sparkly! :goodjob:

Awesome, thanks!

Today's test results:

FC: 4
pH: 7.5
TA: 120

I can see the bottom of the pool (I am going to take a pic today) WOOT! I am going to take my water to a pool store to see what my CYA levels and add it into my water (if needed). Also finally going to order the test kit online (hubby wanted me to use up the strips I had first before I bought anymore, LOL!)

I cleaned the pool on filter mode last night since there was no more debris and scrubbed the sides of the pool with the vacuum and WHAT a difference, things are looking up!

Here is a question though: I backwashed last night for about 5 minutes, then rinsed for another 4. The glass tube never seems to be completely clear (always has what appears to be a little bit of sand whirling around in there). The water that is backwashed appears to be clear.

And....my pump runs (on filter mode) for about 2-3 hours but then runs of of steam ~ the return has very low or no flow. I don't understand what is going on???? Do you think I should replace my sand or should I be backwashing for a longer time?

I don't know alot about sand filters, but I think you are supposed to backwash till the site glass runs clear, then rinse, then switch back to filter. 2-3 hours isn't alot of time....after backwashing the flow comes back to normal? Is this new sand, or did you just hook everything back up (I can't remember)?

"runs out of steam" after 2-3 hours

After you backwash, look at the pressure reading on the filter while the pump is running to get an idea of you baseline pressure (make sure your skimmer and pump-pot baskets are clean). If the "running out of steam" after a few hours is correlated with a substantial rise in pressure, then perhaps you just need to backwash again (check the skimmer and pump-pot baskets again). You may want to do a couple of shorter cycles of backwash, then rinse, each time you need to clean the filter, rather than a single real long backwash.

Yeah, I agree that 2-3 is not very long. It is the original sand from 2007, was used for one season, but sat all of 2008 and up until last weekend w/o any attention.

We hooked everything back up, ive been backwashing but I guess not long enough for the tube to be completely clean. I am going to do another b/w and rinse for a longer period today and see if I can get different results.

Thanks and here is the difference between yesterday/today, yay!
5/12/09
DSC04017.jpg

5/13/09
DSC04026.jpg

5/13/09 THE BOTTOM, woot!
DSC04020.jpg

Re: Pool Cover Off ~ YIKES!!!! *Back with Test Results*

Back from pool store and WOW!!!!

They said my levels were near perfect (huh, me?!?)

Here are there the results:

Total Chlorine: 3
Free Chlorine: 2.1
pH: 7.4
TA: 150
Total Hardness: 192
CYA: 0
Salt: N/A
TDS: 200 (What's this???)

They recommended that I add 6 lbs of stabilizer but the pool calculator says it should be 4lbs 8oz ~ what should I follow???

Re: Pool Cover Off ~ YIKES!!!! *Back with Test Results*

When adding CYA, it is much better to add too little, than it is to add too much. I would add 4 lbs, give it a week, test to see where you are, and then adjust it further as needed.

TDS stands for total dissolved solids and should be ignored. By the by, it is impossible for TDS to be as low as 200.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.